HybridZ

VQ30DE from a 95 maxima into 72 240z

jknc90

As the title says, I've got a vq30de from my dad's maxima leftover from the engine swap/partial rebuild I did in it. I know he would let me have the engine and I'm pretty sure I could get the harness and ecu from a rolled maxima at the shop my dad runs, the owner also owns the rolled maxima and he's a real nice guy, he'd probably give it to me for free. Anyway how hard would it beto swap the vq into my 240? The maxima is fwd so I would need a rwd transmission. I think the Z33 tranny will work but I'm not sure, th3 z33 tranny would probably be really expensive too. What am I missing if this swap is even possible. I tried searching but found a bunch of z31 and z32 stuff. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks a lot guys

almost any swap is possible. it's all in how much money you have, and how much work you want to put into it.

your situation isn't much different. you put it in there and find out where it fits and how you want it. you make mounts for the engine and whatever tranny, making sure all the engine accessories you have will fit, or make some extra accomodations for essential stuff that doesn't fit. route coolant lines, oil, radiator... etc, etc etc. Then get a driveshaft made if you need one, figure out the rear end and half shafts...

That's the basic idea. You pretty much make the rest up as you going along. not something for the faint of heart. I'm pretty in to fabrication and car modifications, but my swap was a lot to get into.

BLOZ UP, thanks for taking time to answer the post. I understand that with money and time anything is possible. What I'm wanting to know is has anybody done this swap in an S30. Also, if I have engine, wiring harness, and ecu, I know the guy that I get to do my welding can do a shortend/lengthend driveshaft, so I've got that. What tranny would I be able to use? And what am I forgetting, I'm sure there's something lol.

Thanks

EDIT: Would the Austin's swap (VQ35DE) be similar to this swap?

I just read that thread and it doesn't finish :-(. It doesn't look like it would be too expensive to swap the vq into the z so thats good. As for trannys I think '01 and up rwd, manual pathfinder trannys will work as well as the 350z trannys. I'm not sure about intake design tho. In the maxima it goes to the side which means in the z it goes to the back. Not sure what to do about that... I can't think of anything else that I need to address. Any thoughts?

Thanks

there was a guy who swapped one into an FC rx-7 about a year ago and he used a plastic style intake from a certain year maxima. he cut it and flipped it then epoxyed it back together facing the correct direction. I cant remember where I saw the thread but I know one of the links to it was on this site. peace.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I cannot reply in your other thread. Have you thought about seeing if you can get any VQ35HR parts to work or wait a month or so for the VQ37 to come out and use something out of that? If you go DE are you going the revup path or the not revup path? I say get the rev up parts if you plan to go that rout as the redline is higher then use a modyfied lower plennium and spacer from Motordye to increase the power.

• 7 months later...

I have a VQ30DE with about 60,000 on the clock that came out of running Maxima that had died of severe suspension damage (they claimed that the curb was at fault) and I have a very low miles 6 speed from a 350Z. I will sell both for a very good price to anyone who wants to come to Slidell Louisiana and pick it all up. Why am I selling it? I sold the truck I was planning on putting it in and I really don't need more projects. Not meaning to hyjack the thread but maybe someone here reading this can use the swap.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...