HybridZ

Afshin has talked me into it (maybe).

nosebleedZ

Guys,

I read the sticky on possible EMS's for my Z. Afshin made a lot of sense when he & I were discussing ditching the twitchy Datsun EFI & SDS additional injecion system last week. My problem is that I don't want to get a BS in computer concepts to program my car above 400 hp. I know opinions are like belly buttons (everybody's got one), but what EMS is easist to install (without purchasing 15 GM sensors), program (without posting here 1,400 times to get it running on 2 cylinders w/ black smoke:rolleyesg), & be a good bang for the buck (not more than the current Kelly Blue Book for a Hyundai)? I know this is asking alot...but throw me a fastball. Most mods are on my sig.

Thanks in advance.

• Administrators
I know this is asking alot...but throw me a fastball.

If you want it simple, from every angle, then SDS deserves attention. Keep in mind, simple is synonymous with user-friendly AND plain.

Sorry for the diversion... you are running an MN47 and 18 PSI. What comp. ratio? Any problems with the liners?

Ron,

I'm running the Cometic head gasket, I think it's 1.5 mm or so. About 2 years ago I did the calculations on a L Engine table I believe. I think it was a little over 9:1. The liners should be fine, the F54 is pretty rigid in my experiences. The main reason I used the MN47 was for the kidney bean shaped chambers. I have been able to run more advance with the '84 model heads versus the N47, P90 etc. So the SDS is pretty decent , Huh?

• Administrators

The liners should be fine, the F54 is pretty rigid in my experiences.

I was referring to the liners in the exhaust ports.

So the SDS is pretty decent , Huh?

SDS works.

My point is/was, if you want it 'simple' you get it 'simple'. There is nothing extra. That's what makes it 'easy'. That is part of its beauty.

I sell a competing brand. Its not 'better', its just more flexible and capable. By nature, that makes it more complex.

There's an EMS for every person, and a person for every EMS... Choose wisely.

Oh, sorry. I've never had the exhaust liner heads perform any worse than the P90. They actually seem like spool is a little better at times. Then comes the argument of exhaust velocity or exhaust volume. They really are a nightmare to try to cut out though. I will look a little harder into the SDS system, what is your price for the one w/o ignition control?

• Administrators
I will look a little harder into the SDS system, what is your price for the one w/o ignition control?

As I mentioned, I don't sell SDS. I sell Wolf3D.

In my opinion, installing an aftermarket EMS, without ignition control, is missing the point... particularly on a turbocharged vehicle. Its similar to installing a turbo without an intercooler... it can be done, but there is so much left 'on the table'. That small step pay's big dividends.

I researched SDS, MS, and some other systems. I chose MS because of the original purchase cost/flexibility, future upgrade-ability, and the amount of support available all over the internet. I figured if I was going to learn to tune, I might as well do it with the cheapest, most "repairable" system I could find. You can get more features from higher end systems. Next time I do a system, I will be much more knowledgeable having been through the MS and can tackle a more advanced system with confidence. MS just seems scary at first but once you turn the key, and the car starts, the clouds dissapear and the tuning all begins to make sense. If you are not looking for the last 1% of performance, MS or SDS will get you running nicely.

BTW, MS requires LOTS of reading and careful reading. Sort of a BS in fuel injection for free, but to me, that's a plus.

Thanks for the rebut Cygnus, MS is cheap ($250...holy s@#t!), and it seems to work well. But like Ron said the programming & troubleshooting are pretty unsettling as I've seen on this site. SDS gets the nod here I think. The only thing is SDS is like $1,500 out the door....Ouch! Delimnas, delimnas........?

Based on what you specified in your first post, I think you will be happy with the SDS system. No major learning curve, relatively easy to setup, good technical support. I'm running SDS and the only real complaint I have about it is no laptop interface. Keep an eye out for a used setup if you want to save some money. They usually go for about $800-$1000 for the full system.