HybridZ

can R230 Armada gears fit in a R230 TT diff ?

lesd

Is there any possibility of getting taller gears in a r230 diff that came from a 300ZX TT ? I have a r200 with the rare 3.15 ratio, but will be going with the r230 for the extra strength and limited slip. I like freeway driving the keeps up with housewives in modern cars. ( translation, I hate revving the piss out of the motor going 75 - 80 mph :o ) My next transmission will most likely be an 200 4r. (0.67 4rth gear ratio)

The Armada front diff has taller gears, but no VLSD , so incompatible , yes ?no ?

-Les

It is better to start with an Armada Diff and intall the 300ZXT LSD unit into it. The 300ZX case will not house the Armada gears.

My 2:93 R230 has: Armada case, Armada R&P (of course), 300ZX carrier, LSD, bearings, input and output flanges. The flanges had to be machined to fit .

Member Cyrus started with an Armada diff and installed the ZXT LSD and had a much easier time of it - but he is using the Armada CV axles, I believe, and I wanted to stick with my existing shortened ZXT ones.

Cyrus has documented his build (Search, I'm too lazy to right now) here, and I'll post mine once it's totally (it's 99% now) done.

This looked like a pretty ecomnomical operation (new r&p were ~ 300.00 and I had a spare R230) but got expensive in a hurry. One of those things that you wish you knew what you were getting into, but with the time and money spent so far, you might as well finish.

Thanks very much for the response, Rick!

I have the r230 from a TT , and some q45 CV joints so far. I guess I could use a little help with the other parts I need to get a hold of. Will the axles Modern is selling for the r230 work?

I guess the Armada front diff should be relatively easy to find. Anybody have a ratio list for these ?

-Les

Tony: Lets see how much these things sell for in So Cal. !

The diff we need is the Armada REAR one. Armadas have independent rears. The boneyards should be getting these by now.

Available ratios are 3.36 and 2.93:1.

BTW,The ZXTT rear cover (with 2 mounting studs) fits the Armada case.

I'm using the MMS axles and companion flanges.

Cool, I found a bone yard that says he has one, but they don't know if it's the 3.36 or the 2.93.

I wonder if there is a VIN decoder that would tell ? Hand spinning it is kinda hard, the ratios arent that different. I want the 2.93.

-Les

The diff we need is the Armada REAR one. Armadas have independent rears. The boneyards should be getting these by now.

• 2 years later...

As an update, the ZXTT rear cover WILL NOT bolt up as the ABS sensor provisions are in the way. These provisions have to be ground off to bolt the rear cover to the Armada R230 housing.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...