HybridZ

L-28ET Burned up 2 OE/Nismo exhaust gaskets, any other alternatives?

CART0410

I was wondering what exhaust manifold gaskets have been found to work well in a high heat turbo applications. I have an L28 motor with a t-3/t-4 turbo running 15Lb’s boost. I have gone through 2 “OEM†gaskets from NISMO they don’t hold up. I have checked for straight and have ordered all new hardware.

Thanks

Graphite Based Gaskets? If you've 'burned through' I suspect as said above something is warped and allowing channeling. Stock OEM gaskets have worked for me for 20+ years running a tad more boost than you do, and I know of some others running even more boost than I with no problems on the Stock L28ET Graphoil Gaskets.

I was wondering what exhaust manifold gaskets have been found to work well in a high heat turbo applications. I have an L28 motor with a t-3/t-4 turbo running 15Lb’s boost. I have gone through 2 “OEM†gaskets from NISMO they don’t hold up. I have checked for straight and have ordered all new hardware.

Thanks

His post says he has checked for straight, I assume that means straigtness of the manifold.

Regardless of stated tests done, things change. And as I stated, I'm running well more boost than he has for many years and have never had a problem with the L28ET Graphoil Gasket. Which is why I mention that gasket specifically....for him to confirm that indeed that is the gasket he is using. If it's not, and is simply one of the composite "OEM Nissan" gaskets, then I'd suggest he get one of the OEM Nissan L28ET Graphoil Gaskets and give it a try---it is specially constructed and can stand well up to almost 0.100" warpage and still seal to 18psi! It's a thick, sticky, metal reinforced sukka!

I have checked straigtness of the manifold, It is ok.

The Gaskets I have bought from NISMO are some sort of paper construction. They became hot and brittle. after removing they crumbled in my hand. This process started when I need to change my head gasket over the winter. The manifold gasket I removed was more of a graphite with metal layers, but I do not know who made it, that is why I thought I'll just get one from NISMO can't go wrong. WRONG! So now with manifold off for the 3rd time I really wanna find a gasket that will work. I contacted SCE gaskets they recommended making me a graphite gasket but wanted $300.00 to draw it. Fel-Pro seems to make a gasket that is getting mixed reviews. Does anyone else have a suggestion. If so include where to get. Also I have a P90 head with square exhaust ports.

THANKS

Yep, Nissan OEM 82-83 Turbo Gasket. Last one I bought cost me $50 or something like that, I heard locally they were now in the $80 range.

Still cheaper than having a custom Graphite one made for $300. Especially when the Nissan one is so good.

I suspected when you said 'NISMO' that it was a composite gasket, and not a graphite-based one. The NISMO gaskets are more for headers and ported heads where you have to trim the ports to match. It is an absolute BEAR to trim the Grafoil units due to the metal reinforcement in the center of the layers. I've found if it needs to be done using small tin snips to rough out the holes and a grinding stone on a die grinder for cleanup is the best method.

yes, check the head as well. I've seen the mating flanges warped on the head as well as the manifold on several heads that have come through our shop. It's not always the fault of the manifold or the gasket. I also recoomend the stock nissan gasket. It has worked great for me and I've run some pretty hot exhaust temps in the past

• Administrators
Is the HEAD warped?

Good point Jon.

If the manifold gasket surface on the head was prepped using one of those spinning scotch brite pads on and angle die grinder, (metal remover extraordinaire), the surface will have waves big enough to surf and subsequent gasket failure is imminent. If that be the case, the head should be removed and properly surfaced at a machine shop.

The head is straight. I really think it was the junk NISMO paper gasket. Called Nissan ordered both the 14035-P7100 & the 14035-N3500 parts guy could not specify which was for turbo Head. Yesterday I also ordered all three gaskets Autozone carries (Fel-Pro, ROL, Beck-Arnley) gonna do a side by side comparison. May the best Gasket WIN!!! Thanks for all the help