HybridZ

running lean, to all the z31 swap ppl, (sorry kinda long)

g686

My problem is when i drive the car as soon as it hits boost at 4000 rpm the car will fall on its face. The car is a 82 turbo motor with the z31 maf and ecu in it.

I know this problem has been discussed before and i have done countless searches and cant find an answer that works.

heres what i have done so far, I have cleaned all the connections with brake clean, i have checked the fuel pressure when i am driving and it doesn't loose pressure at all, i have bought a wide band o2 sensor and is telling me that my car is running lean on boost.

NOW heres the interesting part, i diconnected my CHTS and the car ran fine an still went lean when i was driving it... like 20:1 AFR!!! I have also replaced the maf?

Now i am wondering if there is something i am missing? what would cause the car to run lean all the time? the car is a 240z so it does'nt have a speed sensor, would this cause a problem like this?

I know the ECU will swap to batch fire two injections over a certian point (I'm recalling 5000+) and if you have clogged injectors it shows up then by sinking the rings on five of six pistons and acting like the car hist a rev limiter of some sort. Don't know if this is your situation or not.

i pulled out a few of the injectors and they looked good, they weren't clogged at all?

is there some sensor the z31 ecu uses that i dont have hooked up? like a speed sensor or fuel temp sensor?

Fuel Temp Sensor can be 'resistored' and that should do it. I think it gets tied high on the board when guys mod it. But a resistor in the connector for the sensor with the proper resistance equal to say middle range would remove that from the equation. I don't think the speed sensor does much.

The z31 manual states that at 3k it switches to simultaneous injection. I would guess that it's either the maf, ecu or a wiring/connection issue. Replacing the maf and ecu is straightforward, checking for continuity from sensor to ecu is a good idea as well. I recently had a connector issue with similar symptons. It was the maf connection that was bad in my case.

• 1 year later...