HybridZ

Multiple engines

Guest TeamNissan

Guest TeamNissan

I'm curious to know whats involved in running 2 or more engines in unison. Lets say inline like those insane tractors they have. Links to good reading and advice is all I'm looking for.

Lets say you linked 2 identical v8's together. Could you run it as a v16? With w/e ecu is needed. Or is it you have to run them with a ecu each?

Do you need to run anything between the 2 engines to keep one from damaging the other? Or anything to keep the one from unbalancing the other?

Idk I have a million questions. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members who enjoy typing could chime in? cof cof braap cof

2-Ivo4.jpg

http://www.legacydiecast.com/xq/asp/id.GMP1800809/qx/review.htm

http://www.twotogo.homestead.com/TommyIvo.html

Here's how they connected 2 Buick V8s by meshing the ring gears and running one backwards. One transmission required (per pair of engines).

I think those exotic pulling tractors use gear boxes and multiple in-out links to combine down to one common clutch or TQ converter.

I have read about a silly home-built pulling tractor that had 8 Briggs & Stratton lawnmover engines connected together by chains to a common shaft. Cumulative horsepower was about 24hp. Since they are all "hard" connected they all run at the same speed, even though each has a separate fuel and ignition. One engine is started (with an electric starter motor, can you imagine pulling 8 by hand?) and turns the other 7 over until the ignitions are switched on.

• Administrators
Could you run it as a v16? With w/e ecu is needed. Or is it you have to run them with a ecu each?

A single competent EMS, with careful planning, could conceivably run both simultaneously. However, there's no doubt you'd get better results with two separate systems, especially if you choose a lower end EMS.

• Administrators

Team Nissan..

How did you know that I couldn’t resist this thread? I’m no expert, especially in this sort of a project. Entertaining for sure. Immediately, the Hartley came to mind… OOohhhh. I wonder if they could produce a crankcase as one V-16 instead of two separate engines? It would fit nicely under the hood of a Z .

Now that twin engine car that Mardukes father drives is WAY FRIGGIN COOL! Maybe he’ll dig up some pics and share more with us? (hint hint..) wink.gif

Back in the ‘90’s there was a gentleman who was a very gifted welder and welded 2 SBC, blocks, cranks, heads etc together, but he took the time to do it in such a way that the block and heads looked as if they were cast as a V-16 SBC. I think HOTROD magazine did a write up on it at one time. Any how, here is that engine today. I guess he built two of them..

http://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/Collections/Engines/AllAlphaE002.shtml

Here is a tractor puller with a pair of rotaries linked together. I can’t seem to find the picture of the coupling itself, (buried somewhere on my hard drive), but it essentially is a pair motorcycle sprockets, one on the back of one engine and the other sprocket on the front of the other engine, and a double row chain around them as the coupling. Looks simple and functional.

TWINROTOR.jpg

Here is a video of two SBC’s in a Street Rod running..

Guest TeamNissan

Wow, I didn't expect so many replies so quickly, thnx.

I bring it up because it seems to me more people would be interested in it for a bunch of reasons. I'm sure I will get flames for even saying it "ow lbs, upkeep, fuel etc..." Doesn't running 2 3 rotors in a row interest anyone? In stock form making putting out a 600hp power plant. What about 2 Aprilia v4s? 1.8 v8 that can easily break 10k rpms, easy to rebuild, lite on gas, tiny. Idk I'm just throwing out ideas that strike me......

This is really interesting

motorcycleenginebasedv124fc.jpg

Guest TeamNissan

Haha, braap you beat me.

That linkage that you describe is exactly like the ones I have seen. I wonder what happens to the energy thats divided between the 2 though? I'm not sure how the physics on that work but I'm def interested to know.

That v16 is amazing.

• Administrators

Ah, air cooled bike engines.. you mean like this 48 cylinder bike?… gh.gif

I think I got these pics from Ron. If he sees them maybe he’ll chime in the details and specifics on this monster..

mebig.jpg

big.jpg

top.jpg

Back in the ‘90’s there was a gentleman who was a very gifted welder and welded 2 SBC, blocks, cranks, heads etc together, but he took the time to do it in such a way that the block and heads looked as if they were cast as a V-16 SBC. I think HOTROD magazine did a write up on it at one time. Any how, here is that engine today. I guess he built two of them..

http://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/Collections/Engines/AllAlphaE002.shtml

I've seen that motor. Way, way cool! It's at SpeedWay Motors here in Lincoln. When the guys built it they ground all the welds flush then went over them with a punch and hammer to stipple the metal to look like it was cast. Simply amazing.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread as I finally have some video to post. This is far from being a "best" run, as there was some problems with the torque converter. I think this run was in the middle 7's. The car has gone much faster.

Anyway ... enjoy!

seen a funny car with 2 sbc in it.

They coupled them with a matching set of gears.

One on the flywheel end of the crank and one on the crank pulley of the other.

Then they attached it with a double motorcycle chain, so it was just long enough to the gears.

I can’t seem to find the picture of the coupling itself, (buried somewhere on my hard drive), but it essentially is a pair motorcycle sprockets, one on the back of one engine and the other sprocket on the front of the other engine, and a double row chain around them as the coupling. Looks simple and functional.

Likely a Dodge or Browing Chain Coupling. They can handle torque and speed when they get bigger...

http://www.emerson-ept.com/eptroot/public/prod/standcoupl/chain.htm

Sorry, couldn't get the Dodge photo to show up...