HybridZ

Droping a 400HP 550TQ 500 Cadillac in a 74 260Z.

Guest 500cid_260Z

Guest 500cid_260Z

Well thats the plan. I have a 500 Caddy motor from a 1970 Eldorado that im about to put a freash rebuild into with a Comp Cam and a aluminum high rise intake and hopefully a set of headers. So im not sure how much power it will make, but stock they pump out 400HP@4400 550TQ@3000 so it will be alot. I have a 260 body im suposed to be getting for $300 near my house. My first question is, is there more room under a 280 hood width wise then a 260? I have seen the 440 big block Mopar, and big block Chevys put in these cars and cudos to you! 500 Caddy is about 80 pounds lighter then a 454 chevy though. I also have a 440 Mopar a 425 and 455 Olds motors and a V10 from a Dodge truck here too. I have been collecting big blocks for a while now. I have just yet to do anything with them. I have HUGE semi truck garage equipped with a plasma cutter, lincon welder, gobs of air tools and much more. I did have this 500 Caddy mounted on a old backhoe and I had to fab everything to do that so I know I can do this. How strong is the stock rearend in a Z car? What body is the best to drop the motor into? Is anyone even intrested in this swap at all? I will be taking lots of pics and video and making a web site dedicated to this swap. Im sure someone has done a 472/500 Caddy swap already, if so do you have any info to share? Thanks guys! And what a great site you have...

I beleive there have been a few 500 caddies swapped into first gen Zs, dont remember any names off hand, though. Answer to the first question is no, the 260Z and 280Z have essentially the same engine bay. Unless by 280 you meant 280ZX, someone else would have to chime in on that one. Stock rearend in a 260Z should be an R180, which would likely go boom behind a stock 500 caddy. An R200 is an easy upgrade, but I seriously doubt it would stand up to a built 500. You could do the R230 swap, or convert it to a solid rear axle like a 9".

A r200 rear end should be ok if you use skinny street tires.

those 70's caddy engines had a bunch of compression ratio. You may find it tough to stop detonation. A cam with a little more duration will make it less prone to detonate.

what trans and gear are you planning on using?