HybridZ

Aloha - Good or bad swap V8 swap candidate

I just picked up this chevy van. New reman trans. Runs good.

VIN 1GAHG39K0RF126978

Year/Make/Model: 1994 CHEVROLET SPORTVAN G30

Body Style: EXTENDED SPORT VAN

Engine Type: 5.7L V8 TBI OHV 16V

GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT 9001-10,000 GVWR

LINE VAN 4X2

SERIES 1 TON

L05 5.7L V8 TBI K

GT5 4.10:1

MT1 4L80E 4 SPD OD, (HD) PCM CONTROLED SHIFT

PCM LOCK TORQUE CONVERTER

1st 2.48

2nd 1.48

3rd 1.00

4th 0.75

R 2.08

CMD : PLANT CODE, FLINT MI

C6W : GVW RATING, 9200 LBS

GT5 : AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO (DUP WITH GT8)

JB8 : 8RAKE, POWER, DISC, DRUM 10000 LBS

K60 : GENERATOR, 100 AMP

L05 : ENGINE, GAS, B CYL, 5.7L, 1 TBI, V8

MT1 : TRANSMISSION, 4 SPD, AUTO W/ELECT CONTROLS H.D. (HYDRA-MATIC 4L80-E)

MX0 : MERCHANDISED, TRANS, AUTO PROVISIONS, O/D

Good or bad swap V8 swap candidate

What I have read

The "best" engine to use would be a 1996-2002 Vortec 350. It has the great flowing "Vortec" heads, a Factory Roller camshaft, sometimes 4 bolt mains, Powdered Metal connecting rods that are stronger than the old "PINK" rods, Cast Aluminum pistons with a slight dish that give 9.4:1 compression with 64 cc chambers. Etc.

What do you think

4L80 is overkill for that engine in a Z. You shouldn't have to worry about it going out though. You might consider changing the cam on that engine before you drop it in but it should be fun regardless.

Yes, Vortec engines are bueno also but not the "best" and not just because you can't say that. An LS engine is better in my opinion.

Hawaii has some quirky rules about modifications to cars. I don't know all the details since I haven't lived their since high school. If I remember right it had to get inspected and I always got varying information on how detailed the inspections were for heavily modified vehicles like prostreeters. Some guys said you had to have the welds inspected. I don't know how true that was.

I suppose the easiest way around it was to have the vehicle registered. Once its registered it no longer has to be inspected. Until the local cop pulls you over and you don't have a "recon" sticker on the window, but if you had sticker for just mag wheels you could probably slide. Yes, officialy you even need a recon sticker for aftermarket wheels, but I don't think they ever enforced that much. At least there's no smog.

Oh yeah, and I like the engine choice. It should be a nice combo, but the tranny may be a little tight, depending on the setback you use.