HybridZ

Gonna go see a 240z to buy tomorrow..need some help

The add reads as following

1971 240Z, Auto-cross car, race prepped, L-28 W/E3100 head, RA-Jay turbo W/600 Holly, Mallory Dist + MSD Ign W/spark retard & Adj. Boost, roll bar, ZX 5spd, R-200 Diff.

Now can anyone explain to me what an E3100 head is? Cannot find it anywhere. Also, RA-Jay turbo means that it is used for motorcycles right?, which i know would generate boost quickly but how would this be for a daily driver and reliability (must be fun on the street)

How much would this sell for (didnt list an asking price)? How much would it have cost him to build? Its also carbed which worries me..

The head means E-31 casting, which should in stock form give you a higher compression ratio on that L28 bottom end. To the best of my knowlege Ray Jay is a older turbo brand and they didn't just make motorcycle turbos. Since you are a crabed this would mean that this car has a blow through set up I assume? Post some pictures of the engine and car so we can give an value.

:icon6: The E-31 Head is a first gen. 240Z head. It came on the first couple of years of Z's and was used on the 2400 cc motor. It is a great head to have if you are planning to race the Z. Ra-Jay is the brand of turbo. Doesn't mean it came from a motorcycle. Still fun to drive. The cost of the car will depend on rust, body damage and wear of engine (how many miles on it). I have the same setup in my 240Z. It is a Colorado car and does not have much rust in it and it worth at least, $7000 to $8000. Best to take it somewhere and have it appraised by a professional or see the local Z club for help. Find someone in your area to give you an honest answer. Good Luck, Rich.

Well I got on the phone with the guy, he basically said the body wasnt in great shape with rust in the usual places, and it wasnt licensed for the street. The car has been sitting for a few years now, and he mentioned something about not having an oil something and he would cool the car down every 15 minutes with a garden hose. Said it wouldn't be a very good everyday car. But he is asking 2500. You guys think thats worth it?

So you may have to get a different bottom end for the car or rebuild...

The fact that a turboed car is using an E31 head is boggling me. Those pistons must have some serious dish to reduce the CR to a usable level.

L28 with dished pistons + E31 head gives ~8.3:1 compression