HybridZ

1974 260Z track car. Ground Up.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too..

Recently I've come to appreciate all the hard work that goes into producing the molds, and CF parts.. I don't even have any CF parts completed for the datsun, and I've got countless hours into it already.

Not to mention expenses. Composite prices are up, and the consumables used for the molds, and products aren't cheap.

You can look at a part and assume it wouldn't cost much, but when you add up the gel coat, fiberglass, epoxy and man hours used to make just the mold, then add the vacuum pump, epoxy, carbon fiber, clear gel coat, or clear coat, peel ply, breather material and flow material that is used to create the final part, it's kind of overwhelming.

So... respect for those guys who've done it on their own, or those of you doing it for a living.

Benchmark Composites makes the parts for me, I take no credit for the quality of the parts I sell. I do own the molds. Stan uses an epoxy resin that's almost solid at room temperature, it needs to be heated to get it out of the container and applied and then heated to cure.

• 1 month later...

I'm at just over a year on this project. LOL, not really much going on now, I've put it on the back burner while I'm buying a house. Also, might be picking up a Miller MIG welder off craigslist. It should be more than sufficient for the roll cage, and the frame.

• 4 weeks later...

I need to keep reminding myself to do things, So I'm going to make a list.

1. Order parts from TABCO.

2. Order suspension coil over kit.

3. Finish floor/sub frame.

Okay, I think I'm going to go with the Ground Control coil over kit.

I don't know what spring rate I need, but I'm planning on getting the car under #2,000lbs. Anybody got some first hand experience?

4516_dp.jpg

I've decided to put the carbon fiber fab on hold for a while. I think I need to get the chassis/engine done and get this thing rolling before getting antsy about body parts.

Anyways. I'm leaning towards a V8 now. Still got a while to make up my mind on that though.

• 2 weeks later...

The guy said after quoting me that a shop would take 7 hours to remove it, at around 80$ an hour, he couldn't sell it for 375$. (based off of Vh45's on car-part.com with 200,000 miles)

O well, I was thinking, the transmission adapters are hard to find/expensive. We'll see later on.