HybridZ

1974 260Z track car. Ground Up.

Yeah the chemical stripper is expensive. It is also very messy and smelly. I ended up using multiple methods to remove my paint, chemical stripper, sander, and sand blaster. I hopped back and forth with these three methods. I don't ever want to strip a car again.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering. Should I consider using the paint stripper rather then just sanding mine off? My car has 1 paintjob on top of the original paint and it isn't extremely bad. There are faded parts all over the hood and so forth. But, its not like it has 4 paintjobs on it. This is going to be my first paint/prep work I've ever done, so any input is helpful . (sorry to thread jack):icon45:

Although the paint stripper is around 24$ a gallon, and you do have to scrape the paint off, it is A LOT less messy then grinding or sanding the paint off.

The paint you scrape off onto the ground will dry up (chemical evaporates) and then you can sweep it up into a garbage. If you sand, you will have everything in sight covered in dust.

It is true. I used the chemical strip method, and the sander method. It's fun to watch the chemical go to work, not so fun when you get a little bit of splatter on your skinny white legs while wearing shorts. I stripped my car outside, and there was dust from me sanding it EVERYWHERE! My blacktop turned white and made quite the mess.

i am a devoted fan of the paint stripper, it works awesome and it makes it easy to remove large areas of bondo. but it still sucks when it eats through your "chemical resistant" gloves and gives you second degree chemical burns on the hands.

This is the 4th Z I've had, and the 3rd side track.. lol..

1st was the brown 260Z, that is going to be the track car.

2nd I bought a blue 280Z, redid the head gasket/other's and sold it.

3rd I bought the Yellow 240Z with a 6.0L LQ9, 6-speed T56, rear disc conversion, R200, adjustable suspension, radiator..seats.. etc..

The car was missing a lot of hardware where it was important, and a lot of hardware was loose. I disassembled the car to rewire it, and found a lot of dangerous hardware/assembly issues. So I decided I could focus more on the track car project if I disassembled the 240Z to use for parts. I sold the body, roll bar, and wheels and kept the drive system for myself.

Now, I once again have strayed from the original project, and flew out to California, bought the yellow 260Z, and drove it back 2200 miles to Wisconsin.

So, it was a few colors, and that bugged me, so I've decided to paint it, and to do it right, I am stripping off all 4 layers of the other paint.. OMG.

So what I planned to do was have it done by Sunday 8-9-09, to put in a local car show. Yeah right.

I'm going to paint it white, with a black hood, black ZG fender flares, and black fender mirrors. Also, I'm going to put the 15x12 diamond racing wheels on it for now. Until I finish the other car.

I was just quoted 300-500$ to blast the exterior of the car in the crevasses where I couldn't reach with a grinder or a chisel, and the area where the wipers are. Mind you, most of the car is bare metal already, so I'm probably not going to go that route. WTF..

I'm also working 6-7 days a week.

Here are the pics I sent to the blasting company for a guesstimate. Looks like a half an hour job to me, but what do I know..

http://img196.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=blast006.jpg

There is a blasting guy I pass just outside of Fond du Lac on 151 North every time I'm heading to Elkhart Lake. I always wonder what his prices are like. "Fish?" Autobody and Sand Blasting or something like that - his sign has a Clown Fish painted on it. $300-$500 for just those few areas seems to be a heck of a lot to ask for when most of the work is already done.

A friend of mine recently got a heck of a deal from a guy in Ripon getting rid of a 260z conversion. Two straight 6's, 1 v8, 2 4 speeds, 1 5 speed, 1 automatic (for the v8), a couple sets of intakes, 1 set of triple Webbers. All for under seven hundred. Sold the chassis right away with the V8 and automatic - it was too much work. Got lucky and both of the 6's were beefed up by previous owners.

If you'd be interested in having a set of helping hands I would be game to swing up your way some weekend I've got free. Meet up, check the car out, drool, and continue to be envious - oh and help out any way I can!

:)

I did see that posting on craiglist for the bunch of Z engines/parts and the V8.

I took my first Z to a place off of 23 towards Elkhart Lake called Emerich MFG. They blast trailers and stuff. They only do sandblasting, and I'd like to have something that isn't as harsh. But not willing to pay way more than it should be.

:burnout:

• 2 weeks later...

I did use chemical stripper and let me tell you....it is AWESOME. O

Wearing a proper cloth and protection is very important Oh and just like previous poster stated that it hurts like a %^&&(# when the drop of chemical got your skin...well they ain't lying.

Being from Thailand, I used to get bitten by one of this

ant%5B3%5D.jpg

If you can't handle it, I dont recommended because I guaranteed, no matter how good your protective cloth that you are wearing, 1 drop gonna get into your skin...happened to me couple times and it's not pretty lol

-Voravit

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...