HybridZ

1974 260Z Engine & Trans Swap Options

Hi All,

I recently purchase a 260Z, and now I would like to do some performance upgrades to it :-). I have been looking at an l28 and 5-spd trans swap which looks like the simplest of the options. Although I found an '86 300zx turbo car in my area for fairly cheap. From what I have found out so far, I will need to make custom motor mounts and do some wiring. Has anybody done this before? If so, what was your experience?

If I were to go with the l28 my plan is this: rebuild the engine, lower the compression ratio, and build a custom twin-screw supercharger kit (probably run 6-8psi). I have not calculated how much power that would put out yet, but I figure that since the turbo zx came from the factory with 6.8 psi on the turbo, then this setup should not put too much stress on the engine. This should satisfy my hunger for more power....at least for now :-)

Please let me know what you guys think. I would like to pick up one of the setups within the next week, so please let me know what you think and what your experiences have been.

Here is a partial picture(I think photobucket cut it off b/c high resolution:

STP60255.jpg

Why not the l28et (turbo motor from ZX)? The swap is very straight forward and compression is already 7.4:1 (good for gobs of boost) Many are seeing 300whp with minor fuel managment, turbo and cooling upgrades. No need to rebuild an l28et if ur not looking for too much power and they can be had pretty darn cheap ($500 more or less). The l28et uses the f54 block which is the strongest of the L series blocks and also uses the p90 head which is the best flowing of the L series heads. If you're still stuck on the supercharger, then an L28et is still a gr8 base since you can sell the turbo parts such as the manifolds(since you'll probably have a custom intake manifold for you setup), turbo and other random parts, but then again that's just my .02 cents

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I think I will have to wait a little longer until I can start on this project, but that just means more research, right? But anyways, I have been looking for a l28et but have not had much luck finding them in that price range, it seems that the demand for that engine has driven the price up.

If I do go with the na l28 I am sure that at some point in the future I will want to increase the hp further, but probably not more than 275-300whp. I'm guessing that I would need to forge the internals for that to be safe? Do you guys know/have a good idea what kind of boost a stock l28 can handle?

I'm guessing that I would need to forge the internals for that to be safe? Do you guys know/have a good idea what kind of boost a stock l28 can handle?

If you don't know the crankshaft and connecting rods are already forged in all of the L series engines. Just some forged pistons isall that is needed.

"Big-Phil" hit 20PSI of boost with a HY35W turbo on some stock turbo pistons in an N42(IIRC) non turbo block before the pistons let go(with one audible detonation).

15 PSI would probably be safe with the proper aftermarket EMS with a good tune and fuel system.

You can look up his videos on youtube...

OTM