HybridZ

HybridZ needs a wiki !

lesd

I've been doing a ton of searching and reading on the r230 read end swap.

What I have learned is that there is a great deal of mis information mixed in with the real stuff. For example, for a while , people thought that a Q45 had a r230 in it. Or that the *Front* diff from an Armada was what you wanted for a 2.94 r230 conversion. Both false, but the data and posts are still out there. Plus lots of dead ends. No wonder some new readers are frustrated and give up searching and just post a new thread with the direct question...

What is a Wiki ?

A Wiki ( like Wikipedia.com ) is a user editable set of articles that constantly evolves and improves. Trusted forum members can be granted permission to edit the wiki.

The 'Sticky' threads are a primitive start, all they are is a hint that there is some good and relatively accurate info in that thread, but a sticky thread can still suffer from posts with false info.

Can a user forum like HybridZ have some kind of Wiki ? I don't know, but I'd sure benefit from it for sure. Just an idea.

-Les

This is a worthwhile idea. What might the initial topics be? Perhaps each forum could have one or more "Wiki" posts as stickies. No special formatting or anything (don't want to burn up mods implementing it), but limited access to the final product. There would need to be some "standardized" format, no? And somebody would have ultimately be responsible for inserting new information into the article in some structured manner? A check and review process?

How about this: somebody writes an article. It's posted as a "candidate" in the appropriate forum, perhaps simply with the word "candidate" in the title. There are already a couple of existing posts around that would be perfect. Forum members will respond to the article for accuracy, inclusion, grammar, whatever - and you *know* people will respond. The original poster is then responsible for updating the article to reflect changes as required. Perhaps all the "critique" posts are deleted at this time, to simplify the process. This cycle continues until such time as the mod of that forum determines that the article has reached critical mass, at which point it is stickied with the work "Wiki" in the title. I don't know how or by whom changes would be made from that point on, as I don't know how the permissions work in the vBulletin software, that's up to the mods.

The idea is that we minimize the load on the mods ('cause without their buying into it, there won't be any such thing).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

All it would really take is for people to look up the posts that they've made and to go back and finalize them with the results of their efforts. Too many times, people who ask questions to resolve a situation, never go back and tell the solution to the problem. That would finalize the post, allow people to see what, if any, other ideas were tried and what ultimately worked. It would also alleviate ANY burden on the admins. No special "wiki" needed, and it would be a great advantage to keep people in the "search first" frame of mind.

Just a thought.

Warren

All it would really take is for people to look up the posts that they've made and to go back and finalize them with the results of their efforts. Too many times, people who ask questions to resolve a situation, never go back and tell the solution to the problem. That would finalize the post, allow people to see what, if any, other ideas were tried and what ultimately worked. It would also alleviate ANY burden on the admins. No special "wiki" needed, and it would be a great advantage to keep people in the "search first" frame of mind.

Just a thought.

Warren

Amen.....:2thumbs:

LARRY

I think a wiki would be a great addition. Searching through threads != reading a wiki article. A thread can be cluttered with guesses, ideas, and incomplete information. Sometimes that can be very helpful. The HybridZ FAQ threads & "stickies" serve a wiki-like reference function, but wiki software facilitates and helps manage user-generated contributions. IMO a wiki is a much better way to organize and maintain a knowledge base of technical info and how-to articles.