HybridZ

turbo for L6

ziggy408

I don't know how much power you're lookin for or what caracteristics you're lookin for in the turbo, but search "hy35" and you'll be impressed. The turbo is good for a good 400+ hp and can be found cheap since it comes off the dodge 5.9 cummins turbo diesel trucks( can be found for less than $300 on ebay)

Many questions pop into my head, first how many pounds of boost are you planning on running? What are your HP expectations? Do you want onr with an internal wastegate? And I could go on.......

maybe about 20 pounds and i know i going to need a fuel management system

may be megasquirt

Chosing a turbo is a lot like chosing a camshaft, it all depends on what kind of power output and when boost "hits" it what rpm range.More information would be needed on what horsepower level you desire and what kind of driving you will be doing. Having too large or to small of a turbo for a particular setup can be at the least a frustrating experience. My particulat turbo is a ballbearing T67 T04S / T3 .82 witha P trim wheel with a "built" motor and a head and intake setup to flow at higher rpm it suits me just fine but would not be a good choice for someone who road races their car. A friend who does road race uses not quite so radical of a motor and a T4 .60 AR housing with a 60-1 compressor/ T3 .63 with a stage 5 wheel. Both turbos can make enough horsepower to get your attention, but are each suited to a particular application.

I would definitely get one that didn't leak oil and had no shaft play personally!

J/K Start with the factory turbo and then if that's not enough, go bigger on the compressor side first. Or just go read all the posts about turbo upgrades, the stickies, and a book about turbos.

Chosing a turbo is a lot like chosing a camshaft, it all depends on what kind of power output and when boost "hits" it what rpm range.More information would be needed on what horsepower level you desire and what kind of driving you will be doing. Having too large or to small of a turbo for a particular setup can be at the least a frustrating experience. My particulat turbo is a ballbearing T67 T04S / T3 .82 witha P trim wheel with a "built" motor and a head and intake setup to flow at higher rpm it suits me just fine but would not be a good choice for someone who road races their car. A friend who does road race uses not quite so radical of a motor and a T4 .60 AR housing with a 60-1 compressor/ T3 .63 with a stage 5 wheel. Both turbos can make enough horsepower to get your attention, but are each suited to a particular application.

No it isn't, he wants a purple one.

:ass:

My main bone of contention is the 'you don't need porting'...

Boost is merely a measurable manifestation of restriction to flow.

If your engine does not pump air efficiently, or 'flow well' then, yes, of course, you will need 'maximum boost' per the title of the book.

But if you build an engine utilizing proper and sound engineering principles, the boost you need for any given horsepower level will be considerably less.

i used a t3/t4 from a 89 saab turbo .had to reclock the turbo so it would bolt up right .but man dos it spool up fast .i have hit 15 psi and the books say that this turbo is good for up to 23psi ..there pretty cheep i got mine for 40 bucks from a junkyard .still after a year of hard use there's is no shaft play .