HybridZ

Wheel Show! Post your pics of you wheels

Stretching was popular in Europe(specifically Germany) in the '80s when regulations prevented tire widths beyond a certain point, so to get the look of a wide rim, the tire was left the stock width in order to keep the tread within the fenders. The narrow tire was mounted on a wider wheel, and viola, plenty of flashy rim lip while staying within regs. Not sure how it started with Bosozoku in Japan, but it might have migrated over from Europe.

The negatives outweigh the positives with regard to performance and safety. Otherwise, we'd be seeing this on performance vehicles from the factory or in racing environments. I seriously doubt you'd be able to pass tech with stretched tires in most sanctioned groups.

This is a little late in the thread, I suppose to respond, but here goes:

"Bosozoku" is a word in japanese meaning "violent running gangs," typically referring to motorcycle gangs which has kind of evolved into the heavy-metal/punk "street" scene and has sort of tried legitimizing itself as a social movement.

Stretching the sidewalls from my understanding can give a performance advantage to some degree, but not when done to extremes. It's like preloading the sidewalls with tension so they're already at optimal rigidity. I run that setup (although, it's ever so slight stretching, nothing like in the picture) on my Integra GS-R, and I noticed an increase in sidewall stiffness, the disadvantage is there's less give in the tires which makes for a bit of a noisy and uncomfortable road-ride. It handles like it's on rails, though, probably the most impressive FWD I've ever driven. I haven't noticed any behavior from the tires that would make me think it's unsafe, in fact, it seems to have evened out the tire wear-- compared to when I was running 215s on the same wheels (I run 205-45-17s, now).

Also, if you're not experienced mounting tires that way, when you use the machine it has a tendency to scratch nice, pretty wheels.

Finally purchase wheels !!! Boze/ZE Forge wheels -The Pro Touring wheels 17 x 11 for the rear 4.5 inch BS, 17 x 9.5 for the front 4.5 BS. Have not decided on brand of tire yet, looking at Vredestein, BFG, Nitto and Sumitomo. The rear size will be 315 /35 -17. The front will be either 245, 255 - 40 -17, need to see were wide front ZG flares measure.

New_wheels_35.JPG

new_wheels_2_7in.JPG

new_wheels_1.JPG

Those wheels look great. I have given them consideration. I think I'm going with old skool Halibrand knock-off style from Vintage or Team III for my 240Z. Either way, it will be in the $2400 range (I hate spending that kind of money on wheels). I don't want spacers and little or nothing is produced that doesn't have a +25mm to +45mm offset.

Finally purchase wheels !!! Boze/ZE Forge wheels -The Pro Touring wheels 17 x 11 for the rear 4.5 inch BS, 17 x 9.5 for the front 4.5 BS. Have not decided on brand of tire yet, looking at Vredestein, BFG, Nitto and Sumitomo. The rear size will be 315 /35 -17. The front will be either 245, 255 - 40 -17, need to see were wide front ZG flares measure.

New_wheels_35.JPG

new_wheels_2_7in.JPG

new_wheels_1.JPG

Super sexy :eek2:

Thanks guys.

It came down to Team III (the panasport looking wheel), Complete Custom Wheel and Boze/ZE Forge (Pro Touring). Team III make great wheels especially vintage looking wheels for Cobras, I (me just me) had a problem with the way you order. I can not say anything bad about CCW, great wheels and great service I just wanted to try something little different and a company who also had experience making wheels for Datsun Zs'.