HybridZ

scheider cam stage 2

ziggy408

• Administrators

Yeup. That could be the issue, (whatever that exact issue is other than crappy boost and high vacuum!?!?!?!?) and approx 100-1000 other items may be just as likely.

When posting a technical diagnostic question, please don’t be so vague. We could start listing everything that could be causing your issue starting with the air cleaner and ending at the tail pipe including EVERY part in between that the air passes through, in and around, including the battery, EFI, etc…

Here are a few questions to give you an idea of what we need to help.

1) Did this issue just arise instantly one day, or was this engine just swapped in and has always been this way since installation?

2) Is the engine stock, modified, if modded, what mods, i.e. OE or aftermarket EFI, turbo, etc?

3) Have you verified fuel pressure?

4) Have you verified ignition timing?

5) Have you verified your ignition coil is not dieing?

6) What do you mean by High vacuum?

7) When you swapped out the cam, are you positive the cam is still timed correctly with the crank, i.e. not one tooth off?

8) Anything else you may have already looked at, diagnosed etc that would help rule out or point to other possible issues…

The cam might not be the problem, it could just be the valve adjustment, however you might want to pull the valve cover and check to make sure yours doesn't look like mine.

How did those two (or more) lobes get so worn down?? I have a Schneider stage 2 turbo cam I have yet to install. They recommend new springs if there is over 0.460" lift, but the stage 2 is 0.460" lift. Did you use the OEM springs or Schneider ones? Sorry if you mentioned this in another thread...I looked but this seems like your first post about this...thanks.

[Edit: Doh! I see your thread now naviathan...]

Ziggy408, is the top of the lobe on lobes #3 and #4 smooth all the way across, or are the outer edges standing higher than the lobe surface in the middle? The picture is a little hard to see, but it looks like lobe is very worn. Others have had this issue with Schneider cams before. If that's the case, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that cam will have to be replaced.

Oh I know the cam will have to be replaced. I'm already talking to MSA to find out what they will do. It was a full kit, rockers, springs, lash pads, everything. This really put a stop to my MS-II project.

yeah i see it's worn out ima have to take my valve cover off and check!

i bought the engine off ebay and it has the same kit you have rockers, springs, lash pads, everything and the guy told me he got the kit from msa also he said he paid $549.95 how much was yours? also how do i get a hold of msa? let me get there number if you got it

• Administrators
what do you think i should do change the cam or what i really think the cam the problem

Do you have a boost leak?

What's your timing like?

What are your AFR's like?

Is the motor in generally good health/tune?

Explain ♥♥♥♥ boost?

What is the sequence of events prior to the symptom?

Other relevant history?

Other mods?

Etc, etc, etc.

If you give us a thorough account, we stand a chance of giving you a thorough response. Cause and effect.

Do you have a boost leak?

What's your timing like?

What are your AFR's like?

Is the motor in generally good health/tune?

Explain ♥♥♥♥ boost?

What is the sequence of events prior to the symptom?

Other relevant history?

Other mods?

Etc, etc, etc.

If you give us a thorough account, we stand a chance of giving you a thorough response. Cause and effect.

no other mods running stock turbo every thing stock except for scheider stage 2 cam , rockers, springs, lash pads and pistons.my old engine had a lot of pull in every gear but had really bad knock in the bottom end so i replaced it. and ever since i got it the boost wont kick in right

ima check the timing tomorrow. i was trying to say crapy boost you cant say ♥♥♥♥ they block it

Here's my Schnider stage II cam after about 1.5-2 hours of running:

IMGA3410.jpg

This is almost certainly a case of wrong size lash pads allowing the cam lobe to wipe over the edge of the rocker. No matter what lash pads you are given in your kit you need to check/set wipe patterns with a new cam.

Lots'o info on selecting lash pads is in the HZ archives....

This is almost certainly a case of wrong size lash pads allowing the cam lobe to wipe over the edge of the rocker. No matter what lash pads you are given in your kit you need to check/set wipe patterns with a new cam.

Lots'o info on selecting lash pads is in the HZ archives....

Some people blame it on lash pads or improper installation, some on using old rockers instead of replacing them when the cam gets swapped, some on the lack of the zinc in their particular oil. I seem to have only read about this problem with Schneider cams, so that's who I blame. Speeder is right though, there are lots of good threads in the archives about setting your cam up correctly and they are worth reading.