Setback 2JZ

JustinOlson

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This should improve traction in most cases. This may be troublesome if I take the car to the drag strip as I'll have to deal with picking up the front end. On the street and road coarse that should be less of an issue. This will reduce the PMOI, helping the car rotate more easily. There should be a slight weight savings due to shorter exhaust, fuel lines, drive shaft. An added benefit is plenty of room to vent the radiator and intercooler air out the hood and over the car.

The S366 will likely stick up out of the cowl and hood. I'm hoping I can keep the down pipe, and inlet tube under the sheet metal.

Not much progress. Just checking clearances to make sure the floor bars will be low enough to clear the transmission and motor. Its a tight fit. I also found out there are shelf options to move the shifter forward several inches. This along with a forward sweeping shifter should fix all those issues.

22579_108791252465380_1000000351818.jpg

22579_108791245798714_1000000351818.jpg

22579_108791249132047_1000000351818.jpg

22579_108791255798713_1000000351818.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
a quick idea that just crossed my mind.

how about cutting up the rear glove box area and move the seat a bit farther back and extend the pedals and steering wheel spacer adapter and drop the steering column a couple inches?

I've been looking at this, but the seat runs into the wheels well. I actually have to redo the wheel wells to make them taller for clearance of the 27.5" tall street tires I plan on running. More on this soon.

The drivers side box tubing has been welded in. Now I need to support the remaining structure so that I can cut out the passenger side frame rail for this same modification.

Rear wheels are on the way. 18X12's with 345/35-18 Mickey Thompson drag radials! These are C6 Z06 replicas as I needed to keep it on a budget. The fronts will be 18X10.5 with 295/30-18's. No CCW's for a while, but eventually I'd like a set.

The wheels and tires that are on this car are the same that I will be running:

DSCF0434_0020.jpg

DSCF0335_0095.jpg

• 2 years later...

Rear wheels are on the way. 18X12's with 345/35-18 Mickey Thompson drag radials! These are C6 Z06 replicas as I needed to keep it on a budget. The fronts will be 18X10.5 with 295/30-18's. No CCW's for a while, but eventually I'd like a set.

The wheels and tires that are on this car are the same that I will be running:

That's a lot of tire for a little car! Can't wait to see the progress.

• 1 year later...

It will also make it more difficult to drive at the limit (10/10ths).

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=100849

could you explain more or repost the link?  I just get directed back to the main page when I try to read up about it.  From what I understand you want your center of gravity front and back side to side, and up and down to be centralized as possible.  I would think moving the engine back this far would make it have more responsive handling. 

He's refering to polar momentum. High polar momentum means weight at the front and back. It makes the car less nimble but allows the car to send you tons of feedback and also allows the car to slip out slowly and linearly when the tires break traction at the limit. Mid engined cars are capable of better response, but are far less forgiving due to the low polar momentum. They tend to spin very easily without much warning. When they do spin , they do so very tightly, without making big sweeping arcs. A z car will scream at you when you get close to the limit, an mr2 just lets you **** up.