HybridZ

i know it isnt a Z... does any one have a solid idea what this is???

nscason

I know it is a vw kit car. it is off the frame of a meyers manx. it takes a vw motor and trans. it does have the inside tub of a manx. i just cant figure out what it was originally called. the closest i found online was THE SCORPION. other than that i have no idea. does anyone know? have you seen something like it? i want to buy it for my next project and drop in a porsche motor and trans. some one jive me some sort of idea. point me in some kind of direction. thanks. here are some pics.

profile.jpg

frontandside.jpg

fromreg.height.jpg

assend.jpg

if you guys have any ideas, know or knew someone with one, or have seen one let me know. i want more info on it. thanks of anything you all have to offer.

It would be cool if it had more body pieces with it like the headlight covers and rear louvers. It may be impossible to get replacement parts.

It looks like the windshield is a stock VW one with the wiper mechanism so that would be cheap to fix.

It would be fun to drop a 300hp turboed aircooled VW motor in it... :-D

The frame is a shortened '68 or '69 beetle. Most Manxes were on shortened '61 through '67 frames [called pans in beetleese]. There were a few [maybe 2] Manxes built on tube chassis. This ain't one.

Check very carefully how the chassis was shortened. Most were done poorly and fall apart.

Few Porsche transmissions fit VW pans easily, indeed the VW transmissions now being built by companies like Rancho are far better and cheaper anyway.

Few Porsche engines will fit a VW transmission. The 4 cylinder ones from either a 356 or 914 will, but again the dunebuggy/off road crowd has taken the beetle based stuff way farther than Porsche did. And they cost a bunch less.

Understand that this thing will be a sauna if you ever try to run it. A stinky fiberglass sauna. That's why the doors are long gone....and why it's for sale!

thanks for the pics and the info. it helped a lot. i guess ill stay with the vw motor and trans for cost and availability reasons. if i get it (my mind is pretty set, just hope the guy dont want too much) i think ill paint it that nice formula one red with a metal flake. slap some 9" wide tires on the back and run the exhaust though the center where the tail lights are going to go. like the pagani zonda... what do you guys think? one nice big shiny 3" pipe right in the middle of the tail light panel. there is only going to be one cuz it is going to be a turbo charged vdub motor. hehehe 300+ bhp. the pics that are above... i dont like them and didnt picture the car in my mind like that. it will be of my own make and design. new skool touch to an old school car. it will be a sweet ride.

It truly is a "dare-to-be-different" kind of car. While maybe not appealing to everyone, it is unique and could be kind of cool with some exceptionally wide tires in back and a stinger exhaust. I'd make it scream "YES THIS IS A VW!" and be proud of it. I think it would be fun, but would be a lot of work.

Davy

oh no doubt about it. it will be A LOT of work. if i get it, i dont plan on having it be drivable for at least 5 years. i have noticed that with this car in particular... what ppl think is from one extreme to the other. i dont really care. it will be mine and one of a kind. i might even be lucky enough to get what i put into it in 20 or 30 years. if i have it for that long and break even, cool for me. hell i might even make something out of it. i am not one so sell my cars though. what kind of gas mileage can i expect out of a beefed up turbo 4 banger? i will most likely run a straight pipe off the turbo. oh hell yea! it will scream. hehehe