HybridZ

Got my new motor today :-)

OlderThanMe

1993 Infinity VH45DE 278hp

The plan is to build a set of turbo headers and then run an exhaust off of that to get it running N/A. Once it is running on the standalone then I'll boost it. (HX40 or HX50?)

I'll probably be installing the motor late next summer. It is sitting in a corner of my garage awaiting it's new home.

The only MAJOR thing that is wrong is that the right CAS is busted and the coils and TB are gone.

I am planning on ditching the intake anyway though.

I got to the yard at 9am and had it in the back of my truck by noon. I had to disconnect everything and then have a forklift lift it out (with seatbelts...)

b103976359.jpg

b103976221.jpg

I wonder if you can turn the headers to face forward..

The whole package with a 30day warranty on the engine was a pretty good price.

There is a VG30DE also at the same yard (in an infinity I30). I was soo tempted...lol

BTW ALL of my L6 stuff is up for sale. I have a set of BRAND new Stainless steel mounting bolts, pan bolts, and pretty almost everyhting else on an L6. The bolts cost me about $150 for all of them. Including some new tranny crossmember bolts.(only ones not stainless).

My Spec 11Lb Flywheel, Stage2+ clutch, and some other stuff are all available when I pull it all out.

I also have an 87mm bore L28 block...

cool motor, from a Q45 right?

Jon, Yes from a Q45.

^yes

you gonna manual tranny it?

i may be hitting you up about that there flywheel :)

also, the I30 has an aluminum VQ30DE

Hmm.. The top of the engine looked identical to a Z32 VG30DE.

Just let me know when you want the flywheel. It has 1500 miles on it. (trade for a Z32 flywheel?? :-D)

The plan right now is to find a nice Z32 tranny to use and use the mazworx $475 adapter. IF I find a good T56 for under $500 I'll try to use that. Not much of a chance on that though.

Crossflow multiple throttle bodies with velocity stacks!!! Argh Argh Argh

SSSHHHHH!! How cool would it be to have 8 SU carbs hollowed out to be throttle bodies?? I already have 2 carbs and ebay has them for about $30 a pair.

The i30 engine is the same one i was talking to you about a while back Dan

Oh Cool!

if you dont mind sharing, how much did you pay for it?

Enought that I should be able to resell the transmission and possibly cover the whole cost... :-D

and why did you decide on that particual engine?

A couple reasons.

6 bolt mains (2 are horizontal tying the main caps into the side of the block)

DOHC

4.5 liters (just what I was looking for)

All aluminum block and heads,

Already makes nearly 300hp in stock N/A form

They sound way cool.

:burnout:

What power goals are you wanting? Are you going to run the engine as is or rebuild/upgrade? Is there an aftermarket for this engine? Is this going into a Z? Good luck on the project!

I'd like around 500-600 hosepower when I'm done.

I'm going to rebuild the engine and maybe do a small overbore.

I'm going to design some lower compression pistons in Solidworks and order some forged ones. I'm probably going to go down to 9:1 CR.

I want to get it to 20PSI of boost so that should be around 600hp?

Probably going to run meth injection as well as an air/water IC.

And yes this is going into my early 260Z.

Where do you plan on putting the turbo? I assume a single turbo from the HX40 or HX50 bit.

Looks great!

I have thought about doing a front mount but I think I'll mount it right next to the firewall above the engine. The turbine side will be facing the passenger side fender. I'll run a 4" exhaust through where the batery normally sits to a single sidepipe. I'm going to cut out the rocker panel and have it curve inward to mount the sidepipe further up from the ground.

Sort of like this old sketch of a turbo OHV V8 I did except with a sidepipe.

m98482806.jpg

(btw the turbo compressor is backwards...lol)

If the turbo doesn't clear the hood I'll just add a bulge. Probably an eclipse style hood bulge. I'll be pulling air in from the cowl with a WRX style scoop.

Just as a side note...

In my reading I have found that someone has put LS1 pistons and some re-sized chevy rods into a VH45DE making it a 5.3 liter without grinding the crank. Had to install new dry liners... :-D

HMM...

I'll probably end up with only a 1-2mm overbore and forged slugs. Boost can make me enough power to be mucho happy either way.

I also believe that the CAS that is busted can be saved. It is just the connector that broke. I'll just pull it apart and solder on some wires. That is unless there is another Q that ends up at the yard.

Trying to come up with something for the tag... 450ZQ?

I think I'll have

"Loudmouth_Z"

painted (or powdercoated) on the black sidepipe in a dark grey color. That would be a nice touch.

I was thinking of possibly leaving the auto trans. I don't think it will fit though.

Having an auto trans in a Z is sort of like kissing your sister anyway...

You need a throttle body? I just happen to have one, but it's missing the plate. I cut one out of thin copper that I was using for printmaking, but it's kind of floppy, and I don't think it would work well at all...I'll trade you for an R200 that doesn't clunk when coasting? It does have the TPS on it.

You need a throttle body? I just happen to have one, but it's missing the plate. I cut one out of thin copper that I was using for printmaking, but it's kind of floppy, and I don't think it would work well at all...I'll trade you for an R200 that doesn't clunk when coasting? It does have the TPS on it.

Not really. I do need 6 more roundtop SU carbs that don't work.

also some velocity stacks??

I probably will end up just making my own ITB's to be cleaner looking.

I'm also going to use some standoff injectors pointing down the throats of each runner.

sort of like THIS: (sorry Ron...:-D)

this is gonna be an awesome build :D

Thanks! I'l keep y'all updated!