HybridZ

24 AWG for some of the harness?

hoohaa

I've got a normal length run from the glove box to the motor. I bought some 25 conductor cable with 24 AWG color coded stranded wires. I have read different suggestions from different places about wire size, some saying 18 AWG for everything and some saying 14-22 AWG.

Would 24 gauge wire cut it for some of the sensor circuits? I won't be using anything smaller than 14 AWG for the injector circuits, grounds, fan, and stepper IAC circuit.

I will have the harness very well protected throughout the run.

AWG 24 is pretty small, but if all you want is sensor signals, you should be fine. I would think it questionable for picking up relays, but that depends on the relay coil resistance. I believe about 3 amps is the recommended max for this size, which means any coil would need to be more than 4 ohms.

24AWG is fine for all sensor wires, and it should also be fine for relay control. Use at least 2 for 12V. Use at least 6 for ground. The problem with this type of cable is that all of the wires are twisted around in there together. You could have some issues with the tach input and injector outputs interfering with other sensor signals. If you run enough grounds, that will help shield the wires in the bundle. You can also run the tach signal through a separate twisted pair or shielded wire that is outside of the 25 conductor cable to be safe.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I might run the tach input through a shielded twisted pair cable as was recommended by zya and also run separate heavier gauge wire for the grounds rather than using multiple conductors out of that cable. I don't know, we will have to see when we get the motor in there!