HybridZ

The VQ35 is mounted (Pics)

240hoke

FJ20 Careless hit the nail on the nail the footprint wont make a lick of difference when dealing with moments.

However in probably mine and your defense:

If you look at where my mounts are place you will notice they are directly in front of the T/C box and about an inch behind the stock crossmember location (not in the pictures). Both these locations can be considered fixed IMO because the frame rail is not going to flex at either point.......................................

The s30's body is relatively weak compared with modern designs and needs all the strengthening help it can get when using a powerful motor, actually around the point mentioned above an additional Xmember will improve the situation in a stock car.

Some very relevant and helpful comments have been made in this thread, from personal experience it can be hard to take notice of good advice when it means alteration of something we have already done.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow i cant beleive you are already that far in your build . I cant wait to start mine ! ill probalbly go the same way as you for the mounts and Xmember . Do you have a picture of the top of the motor near the firewall i want to see how much clearance you get in the back and how far it is with the stock plenum and rear water pipe .

Wedge

hahaha I think Austin asks himself before every motor he puts in the car what motor will put him on the front page of magazine.

Not that that is his intention but his work is fast clean and effective to do so.

Good work Austin and i cant wait to see it running.

I think its only a matter of time before you start fabing up twin turbos...

where and how does the shifter settle inside the car? i know that has been a big issue some say it sits to far back and the others say it sit to far forward (the 6 speed) can any one clear this up?

The shifter with the stock mount would be way to far back much like the z32 transmission. It is mounted as a remote shifter with a u joint and a shaft. The shaft can be removed and the shackles welded together. This will place it in the perfect location I believe which is a couple inches back from the stock location. ill take some pictures of it when i finish the transmission mount. I'm back up at school and can only work on random weekends. So it might be a while though.

BChappy -- Thanks for the compliments... someday it will have twin front mount turbos... but for now she will remain N/A for a little while. Should still be alot of fun im looking forward to the smooth power.

• 1 month later...
Guest newspeed

great work. i was planning on doing the same swap on my 71 but was wondering if you tried to use the stock 350z cross member instead of fabbing your own mounts?

I have not measured but from appearances it looks like it is about the right width and height and would only need minor work to get it to sit between the stock frame rails.

Just wondering why you didn't go this route?

The stock 350z crossmember is far to wide to be mounted in ther s30 without lots of fabrication. The stock engine mounts are actually too wide as well. That is why I made new mounts to move the factory isolators closer to the engine and point straight down.

I initially hoped to use the stock crossmember but My plans were ended quickly.... the 350z x mem is also a super bulky piece. I do think you can use the stock trany x mem though.

Anyway Ive been up at school for a while and really havent touched the project.. trying to save enough money to finish her. Stuck on enginemangement right now :( Im hoping to use megasquirt but I dont want to give up the VVT. Hopefully Ill be able to put in a few hours on the car this weekend and work on the transmission crossmember.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update for everyone...

I havent completely made up my mind but it looks like I'm going to be going with Haltech EMS. They have just developed a PNP system specifically for the 350z in conjunction with Injected Performance. Looks to be a very promising piece. Has 24x24 table to control the VVT, only thing left for the stock ECU to handle is the DBW setup, which I will be throwing in the trash can in favor of a standard TB.

Injected performance has run hundreds of tuning sessions to dial the ECU in and it will come already mapped pretty close to whatever setup you have. I talked with Hal at IP yesterday and he said they pulled another 20hp (dyno dynamics) out of a bone stock 2003 motor on tuning alone.

Anyway hopefully Ill be able to go home and get some work done on the car in the next few weeks.

Fianlly got the time to work on my car some this weekend and got a decent amount of work done. One thing I did was tear down the intake and I couldnt believe it... I knew the motor only has a couple hundred miles on it but DAMN this thing is clean, looks like I bought it new from nissan! Ill post some pictures of it later.

Right now Im drawing up a few things. Working on converting the stock fuel rails to a return style system using AN fittings and an aeromotive regulator. I will also be drawing up an adapter for a manual throttle body, ill be using a q45 TB. The biggest thing though is the shifter relocation bracket which will move the shifter forward 4" and allow it to be in a much more convinient location. Should get it drawn up tonight and hopefully machined by this weekend.

ALSO.....

Just for shits and giggles I drew up a quick rendering of my frame rail and engine mount in SolidWorks and tested it using Cosmos to see how much stress and displacement would be present at different loading levels since many doubted the strength of my layout. I modeled it with 1020 steel and 2.5x2.5 .083 tube (what my rails are made from)

I applied a 1000lb load on the engine mount location on one side and got a safety factor of over 2 and only a few thousanths of displacment. And that is WAYYY more torque then my motor will be dishing out. I still agree a crossmember would be better, but in my case I dont think it nessecary especially using the stock isolaters.

Austin,

What I would be more concerned with is that you have now made the engine a fully stressed member of the front suspension. When the outside front applies a force to turn the car, it pushes on the frame, which pushes on the mount, which pushes on the engine. And its an alu block I think?

Dave

Nope, There will be a front tubular crossmember as well there are pictures of the initial mock up on my site. It will serve as the suspension crosmember and steering rack mount just like stock. We were talkign about this only a few posts up ;)

The engine mounts for the engine are just that engine mounts, they use the stock 350z isolators.

ALSO.....

Just for shits and giggles I drew up a quick rendering of my frame rail and engine mount in SolidWorks and tested it using Cosmos to see how much stress and displacement would be present at different loading levels since many doubted the strength of my layout. I modeled it with 1020 steel and 2.5x2.5 .083 tube (what my rails are made from)

I applied a 1000lb load on the engine mount location on one side and got a safety factor of over 2 and only a few thousanths of displacment. And that is WAYYY more torque then my motor will be dishing out. I still agree a crossmember would be better, but in my case I dont think it nessecary especially using the stock isolaters.

Thats not just for shits and giggles. It's engineering. I'm sure you feel just a little better now that you know for sure that your mounts are strong enough for the torque your engine puts out.

An acquaintance I raced against at one time is in the process of doing the same swap. This link has the photos of his work placed throughout the string describing his project. It is interesting to note he has solidly mounted the engine and transmission, thus reducing greatly the potential of the motor's torque and/or weight to twist the frame rails.

http://www.midsouthscca.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=112.

A quick review of the work thus far:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg