HybridZ

The VQ35 is mounted (Pics)

240hoke

Thats an interested way to mount the engine. I dunno if I would mount it to the stock T/C box right there but thats just me. Thanks for posting the pictures, good to see other people are working on getting this motor in a S30 too. Looks like he really has it set back Im assuming he is using a modified rear coolant tube and has a aftermarket/custom manifold?

I chose not to Solid mount the engine because I will be running the car on the street regularly and don't wanna have to check all the bolts every time I drive her :)

I have all my shifter relocation stuff drawn up so Ill hopefully get them machined here soon, about to order some stock now. I was able to take 4" out of the final length.

Rick - Thanks! Shes going to eventually be front mount twins but will be N/A for a little while should make for a fun track car. Im going ahead with stand alone ems and a few other things to make going turbo easy later.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alrighty i got some time in the machine shop this weekend and finished the shifter relocater. It turned out really nice and retains the factory 6th gear lockout. The mounting arms are kind of prototypes as they *should* put the bucket in the right place but will probably require some fine adjustment to get it perfect. The next set will have more meat around the tranny mounting points and will be radiused and c'bored.

Anyhow here is a picture of the sotck bracket and mine which moves the shifter forward a little over 4.1":

ebay_001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Reyes5937

You do great work. I too just got a hold of a VQ35HR form a crashed 2007 350z and am going to go your route. Any chance you can make more parts for the engine convertion of my 240z.

• 3 weeks later...

Austin,

Lookin awesome. It looks like you've investigated everything enough for me to be inspired and try the swap myself. I've been toying around with the idea of many different swaps with the goal of 400 hp (L28ET, SR20DET, Ecotech, and RB26 were on the top of my list). My trouble with the swaps:

L28 - Whether you like it or not - it is old technology and very little aftermarket parts support. 400hp requires a built motor for sure.

SR20DET - Imported from Japan (like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get). You have to have a pretty wild setup to get over 400 hp with this thing because of displacement.

Echotech - Same problem with power as the SR20DET... pretty wild setup needed for reliable 400 hp.

RB26 - I'm not so worried about the initial cost of the engine, but the parts cost. I remember a friend of mine used to have an old Jag and the parts were CRAZY expensive.

With all of the work you've done - the VQ looks like it will be a great platform in the S30... Easy to find in the US with LOTS of upgrades avaialable. New Technology. 6 speed. Strong bottom end. Smooth Power cuz of the V-6, LOTS of room in front of the engine for twins.

I only have one beef with everything written so far... You said you applied 1000 lbs in a static FEA program and only got a factor of safety of 2. Be very careful with this... the torque of the motor isn't the only thing that will be stressing the mounts. Every time you go over a bump there WILL be some vertical acceleration on the mounts (F=ma). 3G's isn't an unreasonable number for vertical acceleration. If there is 200-300 lbs of weight on the one mount (for example) - you've got an effective load of 3 times that - not taking into account engine torque. Reconsider the V8 guys and their plea for you to make a crossmember.

I'm looking forward to more updates! Keep em' coming!

Firstly, amazing work man. I loved your car with the L28 and I love it even more with the VQ.

Secondly, you have probably already looked through this, but in case you havnt, and to anyone else looking into this swap, there is a guy putting a VQ35 into an S13 with all the stock wiring/computers. He is a Nissan/Infinity tech and seems to know the systems in and out so he could be a valuable resource. His thread here:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=207033&page=1

Ideally, I would like to do this swap but the initial price of the engine and the insane wireing (or $$$ for a standalone that will run all the thing) is outta my league. Best of luck!

Thanks for the comments guys!

Ive been working on the wiring harness I stripped the covering off everything and have been tracing where all the ECU wires go in the main harness.. its a mess. Ive seen that thread on NICO and its what inspired me to keep working on the stock stuff. That guy is local and only lives like 30 minutes away so Ive been trying to get in touch with him although no luck so far.

My bro is a computer engineer and software designer for Garmin, he works with CAN systems a lot so I'm hoping I might can work with him also if i have issues. I was thinking about making something that would send out the same signals as the various sensors around the car and the security system to trick the ECU and make it easy for others to do the swap... my brother said he could program the chip and design everything but we will see where that goes, if it will even work.

OTM and Sparky - Thanks! The TR6 is my dads, he just picked it up a little while ago. Its a really fun little car. I de-smogged it over Christmas for him and started working on tuning. After working on and driving something like that, which is newer then the Z, you really appreciate how advanced the z was for its time.

Oh and just say no to stromberg's!! heh.

• 1 month later...
Guest Shocker1322

Since I have been using this thread as a guide for our VQ35 project, I thought I would upload some pictures of the progress. The engine and tranny are from a 2005 350Z which is going into a 1977 280Z. The car's focus is on the track application.

DSC01102.jpg

DSC01104.jpg

DSC01112.jpg

DSC01105.jpg

DSC01111.jpg

DSC01126.jpg

DSC01127.jpg

The engine is mounted with space for a 1/4-1/2 inch urethane spacer.

DSC01128.jpg

DSC01130.jpg

The crossmember has been boxed in on the back.

DSC01133.jpg

The oil pan is about an inch below the crossmember, and thus an inch closer to the ground than stock. Since this car has already been dropped about 3 inches, a skid plate will be fabricated to protect the oil pan.

DSC01114.jpg

DSC01098.jpg

DSC01118.jpg

DSC01120.jpg

DSC01119.jpg

DSC01124.jpg

We chose to suspend the tranny mount from the roll bar. This gives us plenty of room for a duel exhaust system. I will get some pictures from under the car once it is put on the lift. Currently there is no front end.

DSC01138.jpg

DSC01139.jpg

DSC01142.jpg

We used the same trick as Austin of cutting the shift linkage and welding the yokes together. Since the original shifter bracket was modified, a bushing needed to be fabricated to offset the loss of height from the original.

I will get some more pictures of the progress as I have time. The steering now works. The left hand engine mount interfered with the original geometry, so that shaft was cut and repositioned.

Wow! Great work Shocker!!! BTW, get rid of the Unorthodox crank pulley. Your crank bearings will thank you!

Justin

Is that only with this motor? My UR crank pulley on the SX has lasted more than 180K miles with no issues (214K on the motor) and still going.