HybridZ

The VQ35 is mounted (Pics)

240hoke

Finally got a good bit of time to work on the car this weekend and managed to finish up the exhaust and start on the wiring. The engine wiring is 95% complete just a couple loose ends to tie up. Next is finishing the ez-wiring install on the chassis which shouldn't take tooooo long.....shes getting close to startup!!

Here are a few pictures:

Had to get help holding the exhaust for the final welds on the flanges hehe.

DSC_0550_Large.jpg

DSC_0562_Large.jpg

All thats left is a nice tip...still looking for one.

DSC_0565_Large.jpg

DSC_0581_Large.jpg

The engine wiring, it's all super messy and temporarily mounted...gonna get cleaned up and loomed after she runs

DSC_0585_Large.jpg

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the compliments guys.

MoNkEyT88: I bought all the bends from globaltecheng.com and just cut and welded. SS is a venture I wouldn't do again....its gets EXPENSIVE. That and just tig'ing the thing alone took hours... it was worth it though.

EMWHYR0HEN: I using the factory mounts so the engine is going to move a bit The flex pipe just keeps some of that stress out of the exhaust and also allows for some expansion from heat. It also allows me to basically mount the rear of the exhaust almost solid to the chassis with poly bushings and the front for the exhaust to the engine without breaking anything...since your solid mounted at your motor its not that big of a deal not to have one.

Just got finished with a full day of work. I almost have the EZ wiring done. Finished up my dash harness and got the dash mounted in the car along with all the wiring for the combination/turn switch. I also managed to mount the 350z ignition switch so it comes out in the factory location, its was a tight fit but looks like it will work. Going to take some trimmin on the factory plastic trim though.

Ill try and post some pictures tomarrow. If all goes well I should be able to complete all the wiring.

Im using a custom drive shaft, I believe its 3"x.083" tube with a spicer 1310 joint in the back. The problem with getting a drive shaft for the VQ is that they don't make the transmission yoke so you gotta grab a driveshaft from the junkyard.

The factory DS is two steel jokes joined by a carbon fiber shaft that is pressed on. You basically just cut the carbon off of the tranny yoke and you can weld 3" tube on it.

I made a hefty dent in the chassis wiring this weekend using EZ wiring 12 circuit kit. I had heard some good things about the kit and it being half the price of painless I gave it a try ( I have installed two painless kits previously). All I have to say is that it gets the job done but it is NO WHERE NEAR AS NICE AS PAINLESS.

Several things I don't like about EZ wiring:

- HORRIBLE instruction, and by horrible I mean horrible. There isn't even a schematic for all the wires!! Its a sloppy GM/MOPAR instruction booklet that could have been written by a middle schooler. (Microsoft Paint style schematics)

- Several wires were missing that I consider key wires. Such as Reverse lights, dash lighting, fuel pump, and some others thats all i can think of right now.

- This is one thing I HATE: All the wiring is the same OD, as in the insulation is just thicker on the smaller gauge wires. It makes for a bulky harness and its aggravating trying to figure out how thick some thing is.

But enough with the complaining if your tight on money and crafty with wiring it shouldn't be too hard to figure out just take your time and makes sure you know what wires you need to add.

Wiring the combination switch is the hardest part of the job so i thought this might help some people:

Ill make a schematic later but...

Combination switch:

6 Pin connector:

R/L - To Wiper motor

Y/B - To Wiper motor

L/R - To wiper motor

W/G - To wiper motor

G/L - Parking light power (supply)

G/W - To parking lights (switch)

Single Bullets:

R - To black bullet connector on dimmer (Dimmer Power)

W/R - Main headlight power.

L/W - Wiper Power

B, B - Grounds

Turn Signal/ Dimmer:

6 pin connector w/ 5 wires:

G/Y - Brake Power from brake switch

W/B - LR Turn signal & Brake

W/R - RR Turn signal & Brake

G/R - LF Turn signal

G/B - R/F Turn signal

3 Pin connector:

R/B - Horn relay ground (signal)

R/Y - To low beam

R/W - To High beam

Bullet:

B - To red dimmer power from combo switch.

**Dimmer power can be removed from the EZ wiring harness as the factory harness takes care of it at the switch

Some pictures, I admit im holding back on wiring pictures till everything is loomed I cant stand 'in progress' wiring... its messy:

DSC_0600.sized.jpg

DSC_0597.sized.jpg

DSC_0596.sized.jpg

The ignition switch is a tight fit but it works, Ill have to make some pretty heavy modifications to the lower piece though. I have the dash connected through one connector I used a 24 pin computer connector which seems to work well. Makes it super easy to remove.

Does any body know where to buy factory connectors?

DSC_0605.sized.jpg

Battery and oil filter re-locator, this stuff will all be powder coated and the rubber lines will be braided nylon with -AN fitting down the road.

Im just trying to get this thing running now.

One more weekend to finish up the wiring for me and then it will be time to test the fuel system, button up the motor and go for start up. Im hoping this will come together in 3 or 4 weeks.

I'm sure the wiring is more of a PITA than it looks but, your doing a fantastic job of keeping it clean. Great job dude! I'm glad I don't have to wire in half as much as you have.

Do you have any pics of your oil filter relocator? I think that's a good idea. what's up with Nissan and the small oil filter thing anyway?

Also, what connectors were you looking for, S30 or 350Z? I have a buch of both lying around but, if you take some pics I might be a able to help you out.

Well I would love to buy new S30 connectors so I don't have to solder to the old wires and connectors, but thats not that big of a deal.

However one thing I desperatly need is a o2 sensor connector I still have to figure out which one though, its one of the lower ones. I am missing one of hte four o2's and they are 150 bucks each from nissan and arent much cheaper aftermarket unless I buy the ones you solder to your old connector which I dont have. Ill try and figure it out today.

Dayz -- Thank you for that link!!!! I'm definitely going to order up a set of those in the future, when I need another project...I should have looked for those a couple weeks ago!

Sideways - Im running the factory EMS, SDS couldnt even begin to run this motor...at least with vvt and dbw

• 2 weeks later...

MY CAR RUNS!!!!!!!!

Me and mark fiddled around with it a bit this afternoon and fired her up for the first time. She started up first try and runs smooth as butter, the car revs smooth and did not go into fail-safe, w000t. Mark took some video, but I wont be able to get the vid from him till monday or so. Hopefully Ill be able to find a video camera so I came post something up tonight.

Oh and my exhaust is LOUD, definitely going to have to switch mufflers or put another muffler in.

Anyway wish you guys could see the smile on my face, its from ear to ear :D

Hope everybody else is having a good weekend!!!