HybridZ

vh series intake and exhaust manifold design...

OlderThanMe

Guys how much difference in the 5.6 Intake manifold Flange is there compared the the 4.5? Are the ports shaped the same? Do both engines share the same Port Bore Spacing?

If the Ports are the same size/shape, and the bore spacing is the same then our Titan ITB plates could possibly be re-drilled to make them fit!

Kevin

l_27b6f2b28bf45bb1c7f3a569773a1f1e.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys how much difference in the 5.6 Intake manifold Flange is there compared the the 4.5? Are the ports shaped the same? Do both engines share the same Port Bore Spacing?

If the Ports are the same size/shape, and the bore spacing is the same then our Titan ITB plates could possibly be re-drilled to make them fit!

Kevin

l_27b6f2b28bf45bb1c7f3a569773a1f1e.jpg

I believe the VH45 has 112mm spacing for the intake runners (center to center). I'll need to double check though.

The earlier (1990-1995) VH45 has 8 seperate ports per side that are aprox. 26mm in diameter. The ports are very close to 60 degrees from horizontal.

Basically the mounting surface is flat but the ITB's will need to be angled over 30 degrees to keep them most effective. Otherwise you will have a sharp kink in airflow. A divider is also going to be necessary to evenly divide airflow.

I'll get some pics today.

I was hoping to shoot for about 450-500bhp on mine. UK figures are never as high as US, not sure if we use different standards for the corrections?

My spec is 5.0l (98mm overbore), slipper pistons, 12:1 static CR, bespoke forged rods, dry sumped with scrapers on crank, cams are 280deg at 50thou lift. Tubular 41mmID headers 1m primaries, 48mmITB's and the head is extensively gas flowed. Using an emerald M3DK ECU to run it all

500bhp naturally aspirated? What redline are you shooting for?

7200-7500 redline.

500BHP is the goal... I will be happy with 450-500bhp. Its not as a big number as alot of you are making it out to be. Yea sure its all motor, but its also a 4.5L V8, not some 3.0L V6 or a 1.6L I4. With good cams, headwork, better fuel injectors, and larger throttlebodies. And thats not including the ECU remaping and such... But its very likely that high 400s is possible.

This is kinda dajavu.... I could have sworn I posted here already....

• 1 month later...

Allrighty...

I'm not far away from designing my turbo exhaust manifolds for the VH45DE. I think I'm going to go ahead and plan for twin turbos. Im thinking either twin HY35 turbos or a pair of mitsubishi TD05 turbos.

I'm basically building a 2.25L engine but just two at a time. Twins joined at the hip you may say.

500 horsepower is what I'd like to start at... Then have plans for more.

Turbo headers:

Made from 304 stainless tubing .10" thick for durability.

Flanges from 1/2" or 3/8" thick 304 stainless.

JGS 50mm wastegates

I'm going to bottom/side mount the turbos so that they will clear the stock VH starter on the passenger side and the Z steering shaft on the driver's side. That means the passenger side turbo will be shifted forward and the driver's side turbo will be shifted rearward.

These pics are taken with a junk Holset H1E for reference

Passenger side turbo that will clear the starter:

n788443857_566311_839.jpg

Front shot:

n788443857_566312_1234.jpg

Rear shot:

n788443857_566313_1643.jpg

Now thankfully the Holset is a little larger than the Mitsubshi turbos so they would have a little more space. I'd engineer the intake tube for the turbo to pass through the engine mounts so that I can use an air cleaner.

I imagine my exhast manifold will look similar to this 4G64-based unit but with different wastegate routing.

I think I'd have the center two runers bend up to be longer and more equal-length.

TH10180%205.jpg

I'll be making 3 header pairs of my same design for Z transplants.

Allrighty...

Turbo headers:

Made from 304 stainless tubing .10" thick for durability.

Flanges from 1/2" or 3/8" thick 304 stainless.

JGS 50mm wastegates

For what it's worth I have a friend who makes a lot of turbo and NA manifolds, mainly for race teams. His recommendation is to always use 321 stainless on turbo manifolds.

For what it's worth I have a friend who makes a lot of turbo and NA manifolds, mainly for race teams. His recommendation is to always use 321 stainless on turbo manifolds.

The main problem with 321 stainless here in the US is that it is about the same price as gold. Maybe if this was a maximum effort engine I'd use 321 stainless. I'm between 304 and 316 right now. This is mainly going to be a track car that will also be street driven and a lot of miles put on it.

Pete S,

The turbos should clear the stock framerails. I am pondering the option of making a couple VH45 swap kits including a new crossmember that will just bolt up. That way I don't have to mess with cutting/welding on the old crossmember.

No doubt that N/A headers can be made. From what I've seen/heard about the VH mounted in an S30, there's not much space to fit them without hitting the frame rails. All of my info is second hand or based on photos though as I don't actually have the engine yet.

Well I would think that doing headers for a VH would be just as hard for a VG series motor... There is a LOT of space under the cylinder banks to route tubes. The valve covers will overhang the framerails but there is some good space at the bottom of the block where it is a little thicker than an L6.

One dilemma that I have is that the tranny-engine block bolts are so big that they won't fin in my engine stand! I'll need to drill part of the stand out about 1/8" for the bolts to work. I'll need longer bolts too...

It's looking good bro! I've been wanting to do this for the longest time but finding a decent 240 is rather fun around these parts. So instead I picked up a decent 1986 Corolla to mess with for now. Soon I'll get a 240 and probably go the same route you are. But time will tell. Keep up the good work bro! Did you decide on the rear end?