HybridZ

18x9.5 R 18x8.5 F installed...lotsa pic's

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so how does it handle? is there room for a wider tire in the front? how hard is it to park? congrats!!!!!!!!!
I don't know yet how it handles or how hard it is to park. I just got her on the ground and I've hardly driven her. I've got another CV boot coming since one is ripped and I need to re-bleed my back brakes as well.

I think the front tire is pretty close to as wide as you can go and fit under the fenders. As I posted above I'm too close to the front airdam as it is. The 'corners' of the front tires come extremely close to the front of the opening while turning. Before I trimmed the lip on the wheel openings of my air dam, the tires were actually making contact.

What did you do for your suspension set-up?

Can you put a tape measure on your lips on the front and the rear...?

Thanks....I was going to go with a set of 17"ers all of the way around but you have me second guessing.

10" coilovers front 8" coilovers rear with Tokico struts all around (adjustable in front). It's hard to get a good measurement now that the tires are installed but the lips looked to be .5" thick so they should measure right at or very close to 10.5" rear and 9.5" front.

the depth of the lips that you have....from the spoke to the rim ( outter part of the wheels that the bead of the tire rests against.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. The rear lips are right around 3.5", I'll have to measure the fronts when I get a chance.

I should have taken a picture with a cell phone or a twenty sitting on the lip.:icon44:

I thought you already had 1" spacers in front from MMS?

Guy

I did have the MMS spacers, but they are more like 1 - 1/8" thick. Pushing the front wheels in another 1/8" should give me the airdam clearance I'm looking for.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a mechanical issue that I've been trying to resolve (stumble under load), so I haven't been able to give the new setup a complete workout. That being said I did take it out a couple times around my neighborhood to try and get a feel for the new setup as well as debug my stumbling problem.

At first there was a vibration in the wheel, but that went away after a couple of miles. I've taken it over some pretty good bumps without any rubbing, but the car is now pretty stiff with the new swaybars. The car doesn't feel too 'heavy' and the steering still feels fairly light even though I have 8.5" wide rims (previously 7") It feels good on the freeway and I didn't hear any road noise...of course my engine is pretty loud anyway.

There may be some push, but my front to rear stagger isn't that much (only 1"), so it may not be as pronounced as what Guy is experiencing. I need to get it back out on the Autocross course to see how it feels close to the limits.

i dont know if it's your rear bumper or what but mine definately look like they sit farther out in the rear and they're only 9" wide. get a picture from further back, thats my favorite view of my car, when i'm depressed i just step back into my driveway and look at my cars a$$ end and it gets me motivated again

• 7 months later...

So I've had these wheels for a while and I just wanted to provide an update on them. I took my car to the MSA Autocross a couple weeks ago and was very happy with the wheels and overall handling of the car. The swaybars helped reduce the roll significantly and the tires provided much more grip than I had previously. The front didn't push too much and I could still easily induce oversteer with the throttle. The key was to provide just enough throttle to keep the rears right on the edge of adhesion instead of breaking the rear end loose and sliding around the turns; although sliding around the turns is a blast. I did spin out once trying to find the limits.

On the street the car feels great without being too harsh and without any rubbing. Overall I'm pleased with the look and performance of this wheel package.

• 2 months later...