HybridZ

Standard BHJ vs Rebello BHJ damper

Clifton

I was originally leaning torward that one as it's definatly cheaper but a few people had problems getting it on the crank. I am assuming, but the bhj one looks to have more mass, maybe a little heavier and a little better at damping, I don't know. I know they are well known. I just don't want more flywheel bolt issues.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, this is Chris at BHJ.

I thought I'd post to clarify the differences in specs for the regular BHJ damper and the BHJ/Rebello dampers.

1. BHJ's Dual V-Belt Damper:

Fits Nissan L24, L26, L28 6-Cylinder

Internal Balance

5.95" O.D.

2.76" Overall Length

5.2 lbs. Gross Weight

Aluminum Hub/Steel Inertia Ring

Integral Dual 9/16", 5/8" V-Belt Pulleys

SFI 18.1 Certified

Available directly from BHJ, or through any engine builder, speed shop, etc.

BHJ Part Number: NIS-IB240-280Z

Options for this damper include:

a. 60-2 Tooth Trigger Wheel, 7.25" OD -
BHJ Part Number: NIS-240-280-TW

b. Power Steering Pulley -
BHJ Part Number: NIS-240-28-PSP

c. 6-Rib Serp. Blower Pulley -
BHJ Part Number: NIS-240-280-BP

(This blower pulley is in the prototype phase, to be used in an upcoming Ken Jones story for Nissan Sport Magazine)

2. BHJ's "REB" (Racing) Single V-Belt Pulley Damper:

Fits Nissan L-Series 4 & 6-Cylinder

Internal Balance

6.1" O.D.

2.6" Overall Length

4.7 lbs. Gross Weight

Integral 7/16" x 3.9" O.D. V-Belt Pulley for Racing Applications

SFI 18.1 Certified

Available exclusively through Rebello Racing

BHJ Part Number: NIS-REB-6

60-2 Tooth Trigger Wheel, 5" OD -
BHJ Part Number: NIS-REB-TW

3. BHJ's "REB-SP" (Street) Single V-Belt Pulley Damper:

Fits Nissan L-Series 4 & 6-Cylinder

Internal Balance

6.1" O.D.

2.6" Overall Length

6.4 lbs. Gross Weight

Integral 7/16" x 5.3" O.D. V-Belt Pulley for Street Applications

SFI 18.1 Certified

Available exclusively through Rebello Racing

BHJ Part Number: NIS-REB-6-SP

60-2 Tooth Trigger Wheel, 5" OD -
BHJ Part Number: NIS-REB-TW

The regular BHJ damper was originally designed in coordination with Jeff Priddy, who can be found among your ranks.

I'm happy to answer any other questions about the regular BHJ damper, but Dave or Charlie at Rebello may be better to ask about the BHJ/REB dampers.

Cheers,

Chris @ BHJ

• 9 months later...

Curious if anyone knows if you get the pulley and trigger wheel does the whole unit need to be rebalanced? Was curious on the rebello units.

Their prices were very decent. $378 dampner and $74 for the trigger wheel.

The regular BHJ damper was originally designed in coordination with Jeff Priddy, who can be found among your ranks.

Do I sense Chris 'treading lightly' to make sure Jeff doesn't have any more stress in his life right now? LOL

I'm sure he will appreciate the mention Chris. The Dampner is probably the only thing that hasn't caused any problems since he's put it on! :-D

Curious if anyone knows if you get the pulley and trigger wheel does the whole unit need to be rebalanced? Was curious on the rebello units.

In the vast majority of cases where components are designed to work together, there should be no need to rebalance the damper. With either the BHJ or the BHJ/Rebello setups, it would not be necessary as long as the new parts are installed properly. Since the pulleys and trigger wheels are zero-balanced and very lightweight components, relative to the harmonic damper, the crankshaft should not even know they are there.

That said, we always leave it to your engine builder or crankshaft balancing shop to make the final call, as the operating range of any given motor may require lower or higher tolerances.

Chris @ BHJ

Thanks Chris, why are robello prices less than yours?

In the vast majority of cases where components are designed to work together, there should be no need to rebalance the damper. With either the BHJ or the BHJ/Rebello setups, it would not be necessary as long as the new parts are installed properly. Since the pulleys and trigger wheels are zero-balanced and very lightweight components, relative to the harmonic damper, the crankshaft should not even know they are there.

That said, we always leave it to your engine builder or crankshaft balancing shop to make the final call, as the operating range of any given motor may require lower or higher tolerances.

Chris @ BHJ

Thanks Chris, why are robello prices less than yours?

We do not sell the Rebello pieces directly, as they are made exclusively for Rebello Racing, so we don't offer any pricing to the public on the Rebello parts.

The BHJ damper was created to work as more of an OEM-replacement part with added flexibility (PS Pulley, Trigger Wheel, etc.) and thus is a more complex design, which costs more to make than the Rebello models.

You can buy the BHJ damper through your engine builder, Rebello, or any performance shop and in some cases you can get it for less than buying it directly from BHJ. We have an established "Racer Net" (retail) price, which we use for sale to the general public. If a reseller wants to sell BHJ harmonic dampers for a lower price, it is their right to do so. So shopping around is a good idea and is by no means discouraged by BHJ. You'll find this is the case with many other products and manufacturers out there.

Cheers,

Chris @ BHJ

I have had to do some fine balence work on both the single and double grove BHJ units I have bought. They were not off a mile, but they were off enough for me to go back and drill some holes where they were heavy.

Hi Bryan,

We hold a very tight tolerance when we finish-balance dampers and previously have not heard any reports like this. We are always interested in hearing about the performance of our products and would like to hear more about your experience with all the BHJ-made harmonic dampers you have purchased. Give me a call or shoot me an email if you'd like to go over this in more detail.

Cheers,

Chris @ BHJ

Will do, I actually Balence the cranks first, then throw on the flywheel, and balence that. Then bolt on the harmonic, and balence that with trigger wheel attached, then bolt on the pressure plate and balence that, so everything is balenced as an assembly, but each peice added to the next to ensure everything is balenced.

Here you can see One of the harmonics with a Trigger wheel mounted on a Alluminum hub, which is then bolted to the balencer. About half the balence being off was because of the trigger wheel missing tooth, but I checked it without the trigger wheel and alluminum hub prior, and it was off the same direction. Keep in mind It was balenced really close, I just wanted it a tad closer. The only complaint I would have about the balencer, is that the hub bore, the major ID, where the step is so it slides on the crank easily, before it gets to the pressed ID, was bored too deep, and sorta takes alot away from the actuall press fit area itself. I hope that makes sense.

DSCN1113-600x450.jpg

Mind you I am not saying it is a bad product and I run BHJ dampners on all of MY L series stuff, which they all get ran really hard, and never had a harmonic problem what so ever.

I would recomend their products over any other balence company.