HybridZ

VQ35DE engine weight?

drwharton85

• Administrators

Membership,

Engine weight posts like these are great, though I am going to ask that you don’t post any figures unless you can also post what ancillaries/parts are included in that weight and absolutely positively NO hearsay or “I think it weighs” posts. Either of those is a sure fire way to get a thread thrown in the Tool Shed, per HyrbidZ code of high performance forum justice #6.

HybridZ code of High Performance Forum Justice

For instance, the first quoted weight by Mad-MAX_SE. Does that weight quote include Alternator, Exhaust manifolds, flywheel, intake manifold, engine wiring harness, harmonic damper, belts, pwr steering pump and bracketry, A/C pump and bracketry, etc? All those goodies could skew that weight quote over 200-300 lbs either way making that quote totally and completely irrelevant. The pictures help as you can see what is and is not included in the weighing, though a good 360 degree view would be better for that reason.

**EDIT**

The subject line was also more appropriately titled as well. Please do NOT title threads with "Does anyone know?" Those threads are 100% Tool Shed fodder.

Guest Mad-MAX_SE

For instance, the first quoted weight by Mad-MAX_SE. Does that weight quote include Alternator, Exhaust manifolds, flywheel, intake manifold, engine wiring harness, harmonic damper, belts, pwr steering pump and bracketry, A/C pump and bracketry, etc? All those goodies could skew that weight quote over 200-300 lbs either way making that quote totally and completely irrelevant. The pictures help as you can see what is and is not included in the weighing, though a good 360 degree view would be better for that reason.

I assume you did actually go to the link i provided and looked at the picture and read the post i garnered the information from. If you know these engines at all, you can obviously tell what accessories are and are not attached. As far as the 200-300lbs of skewage due to different accessories and wiring go, that will be roughly the same for both engines. But then you're not really focussing on "engine" weight. Now those accessories are needed to make the engine run "properly" but things like AC, PS aren't necessary. As far as the perfromance code, I wasn't guessing.

The guy asking the original question was looking for a ballpark comparison weight of an SR20 to a VQ35. With the information i had available, through multiple sites, I provided him an informative post as well as the "average" documented weights of each motor. I doubt he wanted to wait a week for the information like you would have provided. Now mind you, if you're going to take the time and weigh both engines part by part and do a true mass/weight total for each engine, then that's great, and more power to you. But don't go calling my information 100% tool shed fodder because i'm the new guy. I'm not stealing your "thunder" of giving the most accurate engine weights at equal accessories, wet and dry, turn key, etc.

• Administrators
1) I assume you did actually go to the link i provided and looked at the picture and read the post i garnered the information from. If you know these engines at all, you can obviously tell what accessories are and are not attached. As far as the 200-300lbs of skewage due to different accessories and wiring go, that will be roughly the same for both engines. But then you're not really focussing on "engine" weight. Now those accessories are needed to make the engine run "properly" but things like AC, PS aren't necessary. As far as the perfromance code, I wasn't guessing.

The guy asking the original question was looking for a ballpark comparison weight of an SR20 to a VQ35. With the information i had available, through multiple sites, I provided him an informative post as well as the "average" documented weights of each motor. I doubt he wanted to wait a week for the information like you would have provided. Now mind you, if you're going to take the time and weigh both engines part by part and do a true mass/weight total for each engine, then that's great, and more power to you. 2) But don't go calling my information 100% tool shed fodder because i'm the new guy. I'm not stealing your "thunder" of giving the most accurate engine weights at equal accessories, wet and dry, turn key, etc.

MaD-MAX_SE,

You are obviously new here. Consider this your warning.

1) Weights regarding engines has been discussed, argued, and thrown in the tool shed in the past, i./e. this forum has been there and done that in the past and we will NOT go through that again. The subject of engine weights is a GREAT topic, but it needs to be VERY exact and specific, not just numbers thrown about with links to other sites. I did read that link and as I very clearly stated, specifics need to be EXACT. That link says and I quote…

313lbs for a VQ35 w/o external accessories, not sure if this includes the flywheel or not
That is EXACTLY what I was referring to. The specifics quoted are VAGUE at best, not even close to what is and is not included. I’m sure you understand, right?

2) I’m only going to refer you to the rules and guidelines one more time as pissing matches with admins is NOT tolerated here, PERIOD! This time I strongly urge you to read all of it, especially #13 and be very much aware that your comments can easily and quickly go from Tool shed fodder to you being banned. Nuff said.

Click me for the HybridZ Rules and guidlines

Regards,

Paul

Ill be able to get the weights for a VQ30DE with nothing but timing covers, valve covers, oil pan and a lower intake on it here by the end of the day probably. And I can also get the weight of a VQ35DE short block with just heads, rotating assemble and the block.

Hey BRAAP! could you also let me know when you get your motor in how you solved the shifter almost being up into the console, and how is the gas mileage? was it more work than you thought it would be?how did you solve the intake issue? Sorry for so many questions just trying to decide the best engine that would give me gas mileage,power,handling and so on. Between the RB26DETT, SR20, and the VQ35 thanks alot

• Administrators
Hey BRAAP! could you also let me know when you get your motor in how you solved the shifter almost being up into the console, and how is the gas mileage? was it more work than you thought it would be?how did you solve the intake issue? Sorry for so many questions just trying to decide the best engine that would give me gas mileage,power,handling and so on. Between the RB26DETT, SR20, and the VQ35 thanks alot

I apologize if I gave the wrong impression. Of all people, Ron Tyler and OTM know of all my publicly known and private car related projects. I'm not doing any VQ projects myself.

I guess I can let the cat out of the bag now.

Today, DHL just delivered a crane scale to us. 1000 lb capacity, .2 lb resolution just for weighting engines and all this week we are tramping around the Willamette valley weighing engines and transmissions. Engines on the list to weighed are as follows:

Dave Lum;

VQ35DE/TT and whatever trans he is putting behind it. (he might have a few other engines and trans as well…)

My engines;

VH45DE, VG30DE, SBC in various configs with iron heads, aluminum heads my Eaton M-112 SC, VG30E, L-24 and L-28 in various configs, T-56 trans, VH45DE Auto trans, S-130 auto trans

Burrl;

5.3 GM and 4L60E with Eaton SC, possibly his 400 SBC, VG30DE and possibly a VG30DETT

Savage42;

LS-6

Tube80Z;

VG30DE and whatever else he has lying around.

Ron Tyler;

L20-B, Briggs & Stratton, Uphsire single, L-6's, various SBC's. please.gif

And anyone else that lives near by with an engine out of the car that we could weigh, especially SR20DE, KA24DE, the RB ‘s and the Yota inline 6, the Yota V-8, etc. I will then put together a definitive “engine weight list” with what accessories were and were not weighed in neat tidy spread sheet style format posted here on HybridZ. Being as there is no standard for what is included and not included in the definition of “engine weight”, I’m hoping to provide an accurate list for others to use including the various variables that people take for granted.

I have the following at the shop for you to weigh:

2JZGE with Auto Transmission (We can pull it apart and just weigh the longblock too.

Audi 5 cylinder 20v shortblock + loose 20v head.

Powerglide, TH400, and toyota 2jz auto transmissions

I'd really like to yank out the impreza 1.8L engine I have in this wrecked car. I hear those are very light.

Regards,

Justin

Sorry BRAAP didnt want to put gas on the fire but i guessed he could trace from Fred's page what was on the engine when it was on the scale its the only picture of the thing on the actual (non bathroom) scale i know of . I think its no the acc. and no tranny .

I apologize if I gave the wrong impression. Of all people, Ron Tyler and OTM know of all my publicly known and private car related projects. I'm not doing any VQ projects myself.

I guess I can let the cat out of the bag now.

Today, DHL just delivered a crane scale to us. 1000 lb capacity, .2 lb resolution just for weighting engines and all this week we are tramping around the Willamette valley weighing engines and transmissions. Engines on the list to weighed are as follows:

Dave Lum;

VQ35DE/TT and whatever trans he is putting behind it. (he might have a few other engines and trans as well…)

My engines;

VH45DE, VG30DE, SBC in various configs with iron heads, aluminum heads my Eaton M-112 SC, VG30E, L-24 and L-28 in various configs, T-56 trans, VH45DE Auto trans, S-130 auto trans

Burrl;

5.3 GM and 4L60E with Eaton SC, possibly his 400 SBC, VG30DE and possibly a VG30DETT

Savage42;

LS-6

Tube80Z;

VG30DE and whatever else he has lying around.

Ron Tyler;

L20-B, Briggs & Stratton, Uphsire single, L-6's, various SBC's. please.gif

And anyone else that lives near by with an engine out of the car that we could weigh, especially SR20DE, KA24DE, the RB ‘s and the Yota inline 6, the Yota V-8, etc. I will then put together a definitive “engine weight list” with what accessories were and were not weighed in neat tidy spread sheet style format posted here on HybridZ. Being as there is no standard for what is included and not included in the definition of “engine weight”, I’m hoping to provide an accurate list for others to use including the various variables that people take for granted.

this would be great if accomplished. Finally a definitive list, though i think the yr andd make of the car should be added into the info. because im "sure" a fwd Ka and a rwd Ka probably will not weigh the exact same.

• 1 month later...