HybridZ

Rear Sway Bar Clearance

I have a Q45 Rear with CV joints and I recently installed an ST rear sway bar. The clearance between the sway bar and the LCA is pretty close as well as clearance to the CV. If I jack up the rear by the diff the sway bar actually contacts the CV boots when the rear tires are off the ground. Will this be a problem, and if so what can I do about it? I've already removed the spacer completely, so the end links are as short as they can go.

DSCF4377.JPG

I took the above picture with jack stands under the LCA's so this is pretty much how the sway bar sits when it's on the ground. There's about 3/4" space between the sway bar and the LCA and about the same between the sway bar and the CV boot.

Bart, I've got the Q diff set up also and I have a front mounted bar. It;s very close back there also. Only difference is that thru the range of suspension travel, my bar will not touch.

Do you think that the suspension will travel enough during normal driving to contact the CV boot? If you end up tearing a boot, do not use aftermarket boots. Autozone boots are OK up to about 80.:mrgreen:

I would drive it around the block and then take a look. If it rubs, Ive got a front mount ST bar I'd trade for the rear mount bar.

Mark

If the smooth part of the bar lightly touches the CV boot at full droop then I wouldn't worry a whole lot. Put some grease on the top of the bar where it might touch the boot and keep an eye on it. You can put droop limiting straps on the suspension that would keep the above from happening.

Alternatively you can space the anti-roll bar back as far as possible and shorten the ends to bring the LCA mounting point behind the CV. This will stiffen the bar by some amount.

Also, check to be sure the bar is not binding the rear suspension due to the short length of the end links. You may have to just remove it and run bigger rear springs and a bigger front anti-roll bar.

Bart, I've got the Q diff set up also and I have a front mounted bar. It;s very close back there also. Only difference is that thru the range of suspension travel, my bar will not touch.

Do you think that the suspension will travel enough during normal driving to contact the CV boot? If you end up tearing a boot, do not use aftermarket boots. Autozone boots are OK up to about 80.:mrgreen:

I would drive it around the block and then take a look. If it rubs, Ive got a front mount ST bar I'd trade for the rear mount bar.

Mark

I don't know yet if it will contact the CV boot during normal driving. I suspect not, but I'm worried about driving hard while Autocrossing or a track day. I do have a ripped boot, and the ripped boot is much thinner than the others, so it must be an aftermarket boot. Do you know where I can get a good one? Do you have pic's of the front mount bar installed? Trading may be a possible solution if you would rather have a rear mount bar.

If the smooth part of the bar lightly touches the CV boot at full droop then I wouldn't worry a whole lot. Put some grease on the top of the bar where it might touch the boot and keep an eye on it. You can put droop limiting straps on the suspension that would keep the above from happening.

Alternatively you can space the anti-roll bar back as far as possible and shorten the ends to bring the LCA mounting point behind the CV. This will stiffen the bar by some amount.

Also, check to be sure the bar is not binding the rear suspension due to the short length of the end links. You may have to just remove it and run bigger rear springs and a bigger front anti-roll bar.

It is the smooth part of the bar, but it's not touching lightly, the CV boot is pretty deformed at full droop. Limiting straps may be a good solution, but I assume they would need to be custom made for my application.

The bar would need to move back quite a bit to bring the LCA mounting point behind the CV, but I'll look at that as well.

Thanks for all the info.

You can bend that bar pretty easily in a 12 ton press, I've done it myself. I wonder if you might not be able to bend it so that the end of the bar goes under the control arm and then run a short end link on the bottom. Looks like you have enough holes to choose from for end link mounting...

• 7 months later...

I just installed the Q45 differential on my car and have the same problem. I couldnt get the CV mounted with the end link in place, so i removed the swaybar. I was planning on shortening the end link but would that mean i would have to drop the swaybar mount down the same distance? or just shortening the swaybar be easier?

Has anyone shifted the swaybar mount forward 3/4 inch and see if this clears?

Trying to find which way i want to go?

thanks

Brian

I just installed the Q45 differential on my car and have the same problem. I couldnt get the CV mounted with the end link in place, so i removed the swaybar. I was planning on shortening the end link but would that mean i would have to drop the swaybar mount down the same distance? or just shortening the swaybar be easier?

Has anyone shifted the swaybar mount forward 3/4 inch and see if this clears?

Trying to find which way i want to go?

thanks

Brian

I'm still using my sway bar the way it's pictured above. I didn't drop the mount at all to make it work. It may be easier for me since I have plenty of mounting points to choose from on my LCA's. I haven't had any problems, but I haven't pushed it hard yet either. I'll have a better idea how well it works after the MSA event in a little over a week.