HybridZ

Engine/Trans weights, DEFINITIVE...

BRAAP

• Administrators

READ ME FIRST!!!

REVISED!

First off, a HUGE thank you to z1 zonly for his contributions. His insight and help in the revamping of this thread are greatly appreciated.

Rules!!!

This thread is solely for the sharing of "actual" engine/transmission weights. Because there is no real “standard” to which engines are quoted in regards to how much they weigh and with what accessories, we would hope that those wanting to contribute would do their best to post within this standard as outlined here. We would like to emphasize that if an engine isn't in the “standards” state of dress doesn't mean its weight is illegitimate, but we provide it as a guide and means of comparison for the contributor to follow while posting their weight. And pictures are always helpful, detail is key.

When posting weights, be specific in what accessories/ancillaries were or were not included in the weighing, again, detail is key.

Discussions/gossip/small talk/chatting/etc” about engine/transmission weights are not to be posted in this thread. If you wish to discuss, ask questions, chat about certain weight combinations, please start another thread elsewhere in HybridZ and feel free to link or quote from this thread, but please do not “discuss” within this thread.

Please only post weighings/weights of engines/transmissions that you witnessed first hand. If you know a friend, relative, person elsewhere that weighed such and such, please don’t bother posting it here. Again you must have witnessed first hand the actual weighing of the engine/transmission.

Posts in this thread must be stand alone. NO links to other off site pages.

Pictures are always a plus if they show pertinent parts/acc, etc, but please try to make them small and just enough pics to convey the point.

Guidelines!!!

1) This standard should be "as complete as possible," there are two methods in which to look at it from here. The first is that the engine should ideally be dressed to the fullest extent possible while using only the parts most probable to an engine swapper, (welcome to HybridZ). The second is that the engine should be as complete as possible as if it were just removed from, or ready to be installed in, its donor chassis with all stock parts.

2) While the P/S and A/C are typically highly modified or done away with during a swap, they are also typically left attached to the chassis so as to maintain a closed loop and not to have to drain the systems during an engine pull. Therefore, please do NOT include those items in the post.

3) The alternator, Clutch/Flywheel, Flex Plate/Torque converter, (necessary ancillaries), is a nuisance from our perspective. Although it is often canniballized during a swap, it's still a necessary component and often the stock one is left in place. Please post this info separate and we will regularly “maintain” this page and move your alternator/brackets weights to the cumulative alternator bracket weight post provided as an estimator for adding and subtracting as necessary.

4) Fuel injectors/fuel rails/coil packs all in place for EFI engines and carbs in place for non-EFI. Intake plumbing or exhaust components beyond headers/manifolds please do not include.

5) Do NOT include engine wiring harness as it is a bit ambiguous, and usually altered in a Hybrid Conversion.

6) Fluids are also ambiguous. Please specify whether or not the engine had fluids. Water ~8lbs/gal each, engine oil ~1.75lbs/qt or ~7lbs/gal) Please be sure to actually quote fluid quantity/weight.

7) Pertinent engine covers, like valve covers or the timing belt covers, ought to be included since they're necessary to keep dirt out of susceptible parts, but embellishments and trim should always be excluded.

• Administrators

First contender, the bone stock completely assembled L-24, (240-Z).

Minus Smog pump, fuel pump, oil and water.

WITH;

Early SU Carbs and intake manifold, fuel hoses, exhaust manifold, dizzy, damper, alternator, cooling fan, flywheel. No fuel pump, no oil, no water. 389.4 lbs.

Minus the flywheel, fly wheel bolts and backing plate, 362.8 lbs.

L24-bSmall.jpg

Edited by BRAAP

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

VG30DETT; (90-96 300-ZX) WET, oil and coolant, W/Turbos, pwr/str bracket, engine mount bracket and fluid filled mounts.

MINUS;

Water pump, timing belt, timing belt covers, flywheel. One ign coil.

469.8 lbs.

Same engine MINUS the turbos, 442.2 lbs[/b]

VG30DEbMedium.jpg

VG30DEaSmall.jpg

2003 GM Vortec 5.3 w/4L60E; IRON block, WET, with alternator, headers, Magna-charger supercharger and manifold, coils, Camaro oil pan, starter, 2003 4L60E transmission, torque converter, flexplate.

MINUS;

Motor mounts, harness.

779.4 lbs.

Vortec1Small.jpg

Vortec2Small.jpg

Vortec3Medium.jpg

2002 LS6 w/4L60E; owner is member "Savage42". WET, with Camaro oil pan, Headers, under drive crank pulley, alternator, starter, 4L60E trans, torque converter, flexplate.

MINUS, motor mounts, harness.

** (the engine stand feet in the pics were removed prior to weighing).

609.0 lbs

With JCI A/C compressor and bracket, 632.8 lbs

LS-6aSmall.jpg

LS-6bMedium.jpg

Suby EJ22; WET, oil and coolant.

MINUS

Alternator, damper, flywheel, exhaust manifolds

214.8 lbs.

EJ22aSmall.jpg

EJ22bSmall.jpg

Edited by BRAAP

• 3 months later...

I finally got the 289 out of the Z and compared its weight with the 383 (351W stroker) that will replace it. These weights include everything a running motor needs (except for the T-5 transmission itself). This includes entire induction system (carbed), plugs wires, water pump, pulleys, damper, flywheel, pressure plate and disc, starter, and headers.

For information, the heads are aluminum on both engines, the intake is a Victor Jr on both engines, the headers are medium length 1 3/4" headers on both engines, the flywheel is aluminum in both engines.

What is different is the 383 has a heavier oil pan (9 quart baffled road pan verse the OEM 289 oil pan), and the 383 has the heavy (5/8" thick) Canton main girdle which the 289 did not have. Both of these added about 14 lbs over the comparable equipment on the 289.

Engine weight:

289 (or 302) = 454 lbs complete.

351W (383) = 513 lbs complete.

My expectation was that the Windsor motor would add about 75 lbs to the car, but it looks like it will in reality will only add 60 lbs. 94 additional CID for a 60 lb penalty.

I'll get a photo and some transmission weight and have Paul insert them into this post after the edit option drops off.

• 9 months later...
VG30DETT; WET, oil and coolant, W/Turbos, pwr/str bracket, engine mount bracket and fluid filled mounts.

MINUS;

Water pump, timing belt, timing belt covers, flywheel. One ign coil.

469.8 lbs.

Same engine MINUS the turbos, 442.2 lbs[/b]

I got a pretty substantially different result on a freshly-pulled VG30DE (repeat, NON turbo) last November on a Longacre racing scale.

With: Everything, as it relates to the standard. Flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk, bolts were all in place! Fluids were left in place--roughly 5qts of oil and 1 gallon of water.

Without: Nothing really. Everything was weighed directly after it was pulled from the car.

Came in at 529lbs. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics to substantiate, but I do have a witness.

VQ35DE From a 2006 350Z.

With: 6- speed transmission attached (stock flywheel and clutch inside bellhousing) engine harness still attached, power steering pump & bracket, stock manifolds, engine mounts, starter, and all metal brackets.

Without: A/C compressor and bracket.

580 LBS Total. 6-speed transmission alone: 120LBS.

I can substantiate that. I had most of the items in question lying around and weighed them last night.

This is a Z32 NA flywheel and flywheel bolts, pressure plate, clutch disk, water pump, thermostat, lower timing cover and all timing cover hardware:

p1010008mediumqh8.jpg

p1010013mediumlc9.jpg

p1010012mediumos0.jpg

Max weight came in at a hair over 40lbs., +<4 for missing items, so approximately 45lbs.

p1010011mediumws0.jpg

Now the weights are within about 42lbs. I think it's plausible that with the unmentioned stuff that BRAAP's engine is missing, as well as any differences between NA and TT engines (exhaust mani's vs. headers, etc.), that margin could be narrowed even further.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

’96 VH45DE, (Infiniti Q-45, non VVT version so no solenoids/actuators), WET, oil and approx half full coolant, with fluid filled engine mounts, exhaust manifolds with cats cut off at collector. Just pulled from my '96 Q-45 last night.

MINUS;

Flywheel, Starter, P/S pump AND bracketry, Alt AND bracketry, A/C pump and bracketry, VVT solenoids/actuators.

Scale zeroed with lifting chains, Ron Tyler as witness.

500.6 lbs

VH2.jpg

VH1.jpg

VH3.jpg

Edited by BRAAP

• Administrators

2001 GM Vortec 5.3 RPO LM7; IRON block, WET, with Intake & TB, fuel rail, injectors, all 8 coils, water pump, motor mounts, stock IRON exhaust manifolds. As removed from my wifes 01 Suburban.

MINUS;

Flywheel, A/C pump and bracketry, P/S pump and bracketry, Alternator and bracketry.

Scale was zeroed with lifting chains for each weigh;

516.8 lbs.

Comp1.jpg

Comp2.jpg

Same as above minus IRON exhaust manifolds;

490.4 lbs.

minusexh.jpg

Same as above minus motor mounts, coils, intake, (just the long block w/water pump and damper);

447.8 lbs.

lngBl1.jpg

lngBl2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

These are longacre scales, and were re calibrated just months before these photos were taken.

I reset the scales before weighing each motor and trans.

This is a complete L28, N42 with 81 ZX 5 speed and steel flywheel and full accessory drive with 71 SU carbs, this is the way I ran this powertrain in my car.

CIMG2833_resize.jpg

This is a Complete 1987 7MGTE engine and R154 trans with Turbo and full accessory drive.

CIMG2848_resize.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

L16... (Datsun 510) 291.0 LBS

Including alternator, oil, and fuel pump.

No clutch, water, air filter, starter, or coil.

(Tare weight zero'd)

L16Weight.jpg

Edited by RTz
Typo

• Administrators

SR20DET....

With aftermarket clutch, top mount exhaust manifold, external wastegate, cast pan, oil, and alternator.

No water, starter, air filter, MAF, intercooler & piping...

349.8 LBS

With aftermarket intercooler, complete intake piping and MAF...

365.9 LBS

(Tare weight zero'd)

SR20DETscale.jpg

Edited by RTz
Typo

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators

'97 BMW M3 engine, (S52us, 3.2L) and ZF 5 speed trans, (ZF S5D320 Z) out of my ’97 M3 Sedan.

Just removed from car,

MINUS; P/S pump and bracketry, minus A/C compressor and bracketry.

WITH; Cast aluminum engine mount brackets, intake manifold, TB, injectors, fuel rail, all fitting/plumbing attached to intake, Exhaust manifolds, Alternator, starter, flywheel, clutch, trans, trans fluid, engine oil, approx half capacity coolant.

512.2 lbs

MINUS trans, clutch and starter;

406.4 lbs

out1.jpg

out2.jpg

WITH trans, clutch and starter;

eng-trns.jpg

WithOUT trans, Clutch, Starter;

eng.jpg

Edited by BRAAP
Added trans code...

• 11 months later...

For those of use that want 12 cylinders of fun, M120.980 from an R129 600SL.

Included: If it was originally bolted directly to the motor in car, it's on there

Starter

A/C Compressor

PS/hydraulic pump

Smog Pump

all ancillaries, etc. etc.

full of oil and whatever coolant was in it still.

Also has full intake and exhaust mani's and electronic TB. Flexplate was on the motor but Torque Converter back was not.

Pics and information courtesy Roncallo from peachparts. This work is his. FWIW, the R129 is a front sump design by the W140 (S600) was the mid-sump design.

post-1856-078038700 1277842840_thumb.jpg

post-1856-035055500 1277842847_thumb.jpg

post-1856-003975000 1277842858_thumb.jpg

post-1856-047691100 1277842864_thumb.jpg

Edited by MAG58

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

LSx bare iron block vs. bare aluminum block... 102.8 lbs difference.

Tare weight zero'd...

LSxZero.png

Alum... 94.2lbs

LSxAlumWeight.png

Iron... 197.0lbs

LSxIronWeight.png

These were weighed on the same scale on the same day, and both were stripped down to the bare block. The iron block is a 2005 LQ4 and the alum. block is a 2000 LS1. Weights were taken by BrianV8Z, BRAAP, and myself.

• 7 years later...