HybridZ

260Z Running Poorly(rich)

Ok, about a week ago before I went on vacation I ran my z kinda hard probably up to 6500rpm and when I got home and turned the key to the off position it coughed a couple of times then finally turned off. I did not think to much of it at the time.

Ever since I came back from my trip it has been running very rough. So I checked all of the spark plugs; 1-3 were covered in gas, and plug #4 only had a little gunk. 5 & 6 looked normal. So I wire brushed them all clean hoping this would help but it did nothing.

One other thing that I have noticed is that the choke lever does not seem to rest all the way forward. I will push it forward to make sure it is not on, and it will come back some. The choke light will even be on when it is like this. I also have not needed to put the choke on when the car is cold. I'm guessing this is further proof that it is running very rich. Mabye I need to take a look at the choke cable?

Does anybody have an idea what the problem is and/or how to fix it?

I greatly appreciate any and all advice. Thank you!

-Ryan

Well, which one is it, friend? Rich or poor? :D

Some people will run springs on the choke arms as a return so the choke opens all the way back up. Try disconnecting your choke cables, hang the ends high above the rest of the cables, tape a drinking straw onto the end and pour oil down the straw. It should soak up the oil into the cable and free it up. Use the oil sparingly as you might find it dripping out into the cabin at the other end!

Thanks for the help guys!

capt furious, I see in your sig that you have swapped the l28 and 5 speed in to your 260z, how are you liking it? How is the acceleration compared to stock? I hope to do the same once I get the equipment and time. I have had my eyes on a '75 fi l28 along with the 5 speed.

I have also been considering taking off the bumpers b/c I think the car would look so much better with out them. What do you think?