HybridZ

Power windows

Guest cardatheous

Guest cardatheous

Before you all flog me I did search and found 1 post but it was for a Z31.

My power windows stopped working on my '82 280zx. I think I located the relay in the fender next to the one for the fuel pump. is that correct? if not where is it? I looked in the right kick panel but didn't see anything. Also would anyone know of a replacement or original part number of the relay?

My Motor's manual doesn't even talk about this subject. I could really use some help here as its still pretty warm during the day and the Air isn't working.

Guest cardatheous

Both windows at the same time, so not the switch's. I was able to get the windows to move by putting power directly to the motors so that would rule the motors out as well. I have to believe it the relay in the fender next to the one for the fuel pump but I'm not positive if that is for the windows, can anyone confirm that that is the correct one. The only thing I found in the right kick panel area was a large black box in a recess just above the floor line .

Guest cardatheous

Ok the relay I was looking at goes to the horn ( one in fender) checked all four relays in black box but still no change. Guess I will have to do more searching inside the car. Anyone have any ideas what I should be looking for?

I can't tell for sure about the ZX as I've never even been inside one but, it could still be the switch, as MOST with of the cars, the signals for the pass. side window goes trough (gets power from and puts to ground trough) the driver's MASTER switch...

Otherwise, it could be the power line that is cut in the driver's door jamb...

Check if you have voltage at the switch itself...

There is no relays for the power windows. The window motors work directly from the switches. Each switch has double poles inside. When you push up on the swith one pole will connect 12V and the other to ground. When you push down the opposite poles will get 12V and ground. I am pretty sure your switch is the cause. You can open it up to check if the contacts are broken into pieces. If they are not then a good clean job will fix the problem. If not you can shoot me an email. I got several of these switches laying around somewhere. GL

Guest cardatheous

Thanks for the help. After spending 2 hours looking inside the car for a relay with no luck I went back to the master switch in the drivers doe to double check if power was getting to the switch. No power to the switch, no break in door jam area checked in kick panel area still no power. Decided to run hot wire directly to switch from battery which solved the problem. I'm going to have to redo hot wire with correct gage wire and adding 30amp fuse just in case something does go bad.

• 3 years later...