HybridZ

Conversion from Jump street

Hi all, I have been scouring these forums for awhile doing some initial research. Found a TON of great info about v8 conversions and little z details I never knew about.

So my tale so far is, I'm active duty military deploying to Iraq, stationed in Idaho. While deployed I will make considerably more money and wanted to treat myself to a nice ride when I got back. I am a mechanic in the Air Force (mainly diesel engines not airplanes) so I have a bit of experience pulling engines and replacing components, not to say this qualifies me to start converting z's but with my experience, the JTR manual, and a few of the guys I work with who actually have a long history of working on street cars, I think I can handle a lot of the work.

The base supplies us with a place to work on cars and just about every tool under the sun (plus real auto mechanics who will help out for a fee) so I'm confident the actual bolting together of everything can be accomplished without paying someone else to do it for me.

The predicament I face is the actual components I want to buy. I see other new guys posts that basically ask "tell me what I want" and i don't want to be that guy. I don't care so much which body style I get (as long as its a z, not as fond of the later ones) so one of the 70's cars, which I also believe are the ones the JTR deals with. I want to leave the body fairly open so I can concentrate on a good quality body rather than pass up some thing good because I'm stuck on just a 280 and not the other models.

I want this car to be an everyday driver if it needs to be. I have a regular car now, but I know my wife likes having something to drive. So I'm not looking for something with ridiculous compression that I can only refuel at a track. I came across http://phoenixengine.com/Chevy-01.html http://phoenixengine.com/Chevy-02.html in my search for an engine. a 355 - 365 hp turnkey for 3400 - 3600$ seemed like it'd save me a lot of hassle initially. But, I don't know how reputable this company is. Any of you AZ guys ever dealt with them? The 350 seemed like it'd be able to provide me with decent street aspects (mileage, compression) but hopefully still smoke some guys who think their stock cobras and camaros are gods gift to speed. I would like to be able to run decent on a 1/4 mile but it wouldn't be something I'd do every weekend. Mostly just want to show some uppity punks whats up when their heads get too big.

Next, I was looking at transmissions. Initially I had my eye on a th350 as I would prefer an auto/manual over a manual. But it has no OD which I'd like because I wanted to keep it street. So then I started looking at a 700r4 which sound to me like it'd have it all, lower gear than the 350 in 1st, plus an OD so I could hope for better than 10 MPG when I cruise around town in it. My concerns still with the 700r4 is HP. These companies do upgrade them with corvette parts and supposedly get them capable of 400 - 450 hp, though I have no direct experience with them so thats something I'm looking for advice on. I know the engine I have my eye on isn't nearly that much HP but I'd like to keep the turbo or supercharger option available for down the road. With this tranny I'm also concerned with clearance on the varying models, I know a 280 has a bigger tunnel, but how much bigger compared to a 240 or 260? I'm not an experienced welder so that type pf work I'd liek to keep to a minimum.

Aside from those 2 big ticket items I'm looking for some advice on what kind of diff to use (was thinking a r200 would fit my style) and some good sources for the other odds and ends. http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PRC01 This store has drive shafts for different trannys and a lot of the same parts JTR sells. You guys know of a better source for these kind of parts? maybe a bit cheaper? Or if any of you are skilled metal workers and would fab them for less than these guys sell?

Thanks

Pat

For $3500, I would look at the 350ci/330hp crate from gm performance parts (just because you'll get the warranty). As far as the 700r4, you can get a reasonably priced version (that will take pretty good HP) for ~$1500 (see bowtieoverdrives.com).

As far as the rear end, I won't pretend to have a reasonable answer to that, I can only suggest more searching :)

Good luck (and thanks for your service)

Pat,

Not too many rust free z's for sale in Mtn Home. You might watch for a nice AZ or CA car. The 280's are heavier but somewhat quieter to drive and a little easier for swaps in some aspects. I'd invest in the JTR books, do a lot of research, then make a list of everything you need. The book was very helpful to me even though they don't cover the engine I decided to use. If you are coming in to Boise/Meridian in the near future, PM me if you'd like to get together.

Mike