HybridZ

Ford 8.8(had Enough!!)

MAXIMUS

Hi all,

I am fed up with my r200 cv/u-joint issues.

I have decided to swap out my r 200 lsd for a Ford 8.8.

Has anyone here done this swap?

If so,how much di you have to shorten the Ford rear end to fit into your 280?

Btw, anyone looking for an R200 LSD,with cv shafts,and spare u-joint shafts?

I have a set for sale(lol)

Before you decide to cut a rearend up, I would figure out what size tire/rim combo you want to run first

If you are going to tub or mini-tub your options for tire size will change to just about anything you want.

Right now I have my whole rear suspension out, putting in coilovers and new axles, but I was checking out how big the stock rear tire wells are. I didn't take any exact measurements but it looks like better than 295 would fit inside a stock wheel well with no flares, probably slightly bigger if you like a real tight fit.

I can post pictures of a 275 inside the wheel well if you want an idea of the room you have to work with, but it is only a 25 inch tall tire. A lot of drag tires run a bit taller.

The 8.8 swap is not that bad, we did it on our drag car with Jegs SS ladder bars, Jegs track rod and cross member kits, competition engineering coil overs and a 8.8 from a 1993 Mazda B4000 4x4. We had the rear narrowed to narrowed 54.5" flange to flange and used two drivers side axles that put the pumpkin almost dead center in the tunnel. We are running 15 X 10 rims with ZG flares that look simply bad-ass!

We did not tub it and are running 29 X 11.50 X 15 slicks out back.

Pics in this thread.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=119147