HybridZ

Rear Wings?

260DET

so you want like a rice wing or like mine. i got a whale tail low profile, but if you want something below the roof line, gonna have to be kinda ricey. use gt4 and the 280zx to get a basic idea

I think that he is piloting a track car, so looks arent the first thing in mind. Tall GT style wings only "look" ricey because people who don't need them put them on cars who don't need them.

Otherwise, they're fully functional and sometimes the only option. They can do what a whale tail will not.

I think that he is piloting a track car, so looks arent the first thing in mind. Tall GT style wings only "look" ricey because people who don't need them put them on cars who don't need them.

Otherwise, they're fully functional and sometimes the only option. They can do what a whale tail will not.

Well said!

i know the funtionallity and reasons of the tall "rice wing" but, just trying to get a feel of what kind of downfore he wants. the whale tail wing with lip produced 100 psi at 100 mph, or thats what bob sharps team said. so it did do something, but what did the hybridz team discover in the wind tunnel. i never followed that one.

Thinking about this a bit more it seems the first thing to do would be to get a whale tail spoiler. Then a single element wing which would be compatible with the tail.

That way both the tail and wing could work together. Make sense?

Without time in a wind tunnel or some CFD software I would be careful about trying to get two different aero elements in close proximity to each other to work well together. The upper surface of a whale tail is a high pressure area and it might be enough to disrupt the low pressure area you're trying to develop underneath a wing (remember, high pressure always flow to low pressure).

How high above the whale tail does the high pressure area extend? How low under the wing does the low pressure area extend? What kind of turbulence will be generated between these two aero elements?

Diffusers work well with low set wings because you're dumping the low pressure area from the diffuser exit into the low pressure area under the wing. My suggestion would be to build a diffuser under the back of your car first and, later, experiment with a wing.