HybridZ

My 240z 2JZ-GTE swap

oatmilk

Hello all,

After giving out my $0.02 worth of advice on this type of swap, I'll be posting some pics of my car's progress in the Member's project section. Working with John Coffee, owner of BetaMotorsports, has been a wonderful experience. You get what you pay for in this instance. A consumate professional. No hidden fees or charges, an up-front honest guy with the skills and knowledge to back it up. Oh yeah, the less I think about all the money I'm spending the better :-). Now if I could just find an honest roofer just like him, I would be set.

Look for the pics soon as I figure out how to do it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good!-this car isn't just to go to the supermarket...Right?:-D

In your pic's one of them shows the steering shaft with quite a bit of extra length from the firewall to the top joint, Puzzled???(bear in mind I have to think all this reversed for RHD) was the shaft out of place in the pic,or have you extended the column shaft to change the angle?

One of the update pic's has the rack in place, what sort of clearance do you have, intermediate shaft to the mount?

Working out height of engine against pressed lines in the metal across the firewall, (and allowing for the 14mm height diff between a 1J and 2J) I think I got mine about a half inch lower,but on a RHD the Toyota factory mount was always going to be in the way. Better clearance on the left hand side?(I had a Turbo and exhaust to contend with as well)

PS. Paint it now.

Glad to see someone else using the trusty old plumb-bob method for driveline alignment.

Gravity is your friend. I did use a contractor's laser mounted to the pinion flange to mark a line on the underbody from the diff to the crossmember and I've got a couple electronic angle finders. Unfortunately the transmission width kept the engine about 1/2" further to the right then I wanted. The driveline angles are all within normal tolernaces with the veritcal angular difference at .5 degrees and the horizonal difference at .4 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post pics in my member's section tonight if I get the chance.

Zbtatt23,

I think you'll be fine with a mid-sump pan like mine. I thought the steering shaft position was the same on all 70-78Z's but I could be wrong.

Thanks all for the nice words.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the distance from the intake manifold mounting surface on the head to the brake booster and strut tower? I'm building a custom intake manifold for my 2JZ swap, and was curious about these dimensions. I wont have the motor in for a little while, but I'm getting started on the intake manifold in the time being. Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Justin