HybridZ

Is there anything WRONG with dumping after the down pipe?

X64v

As the title says. I have a full length exhaust at the moment, but I was kicking around the idea of running a system no more than about 24 inches or so after the turbo. I have heard of a few people running an open down pipe, but I was thinking about adding a small Borla muffler 8 or 10 inches after the turbo to soften the noise a little and give it a nice tone.

Is there anything inherently wrong with this, from either a performance standpoint, or a not-choking-to-death-on-exhaust-fumes standpoint? I'm not worried about the legality of such an exhaust; I can throw my full length back on for smog checks. Will the heat from the turbo being that close kill the muffler in short order?

I was running a stainless bullet muffler right off the second bend in the downpipe and dumping right under the trans.

The only things that I can think of other then fumes is noise, sure it sounds awesome, but I started getting sick of it, so now I have a 3 in pipe all the way to the back. Sounds almost the same (from outside) but much quieter inside.

I thought from a performance standpoint you would want no back pressure after the turbo.

Mario

If I am going to get the fumes then forget it. I must have one of the rare z's that does not have any problems with fumes with a full length exhaust. My exhaust at the moment is too quiet (2.5" with the MSA turbo muffler), and I figured I could cut the ground clearance issue at the same time by eliminating the rest of the exhaust. I ran an open collecter (3-2 header before I went turbo) for a few weeks, and the vibration/noise level from that dumping in the trans tunnel was horrible. I need to find a few turbo guys in the area and see what theirs sounds like.

right now im running an open down pipe with just the stock piece of exhaust from the zx and it ends right about where the tranny does... its really loud, but i dont get fumes in my car.. but if you drive by a baricade or even a tall curb you can defenetly hear the exhaust more and its to loud i just dont have money for a new exhaust right now.. i plan on going 3in all the way back

i love the open downpipe.. 3" .. sounds sweeeett as hell.. and letting off after a boost run I get a BOOM.. somethin is makn fire lol .. smells awful

I do miss the quiet muffler though.. its physically exhausting.. the body does not take noise very well.. fatigues you.. with loud db levels and long periods of time.

look at old ass airplanes or nascar or lemans.. ontop of the mental drain of concentrating so hard.. the noise doesnt help

Why not get an electric cutout on your down pipe from QTP or MCcord?? Keep your existing exhaust and then when you want to flip a switch and open the plate get the dump off the down pipe no more restriction...

here are some pictures from MCcord:

http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/pictures.htm

and some from QTP

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php

• 2 months later...
Guest 280ZForce
I'm thinking about doing an electric cutout after the downpipe, but I'm worried about the possibility of fire. Is there somewhere safe/clearance friendly to dump, maybe a sidepipe or something?

dumping it straight back is fine, just get a turn down so it faces the street in case flames come out