HybridZ

Thinking of dropping in a QR25DE =)

PSi

As the topic says im thinking of this.. Ive got a line on a few wrecked SE-r's (not interested in specV's as im just gonna build it and boost it anyway.)

Any thoughts on this? Anyone got any links to maybe someone thats done it etc?

Dropping in a 280ZX Im thinking the tranny wont be an issue as i can use one from a RWD frontier (allready donning the QR25) as far as mounts go im well qualified to design them and ive been welding for about 7 years now so id hope i was at least expirienced enough to build mounts etc. (im being sarcastic im well versed with a mig tig and arc/stick welding)

Anyway, let me know what you think.. Im also not looking for tons of power as i know a SR/KA-t would be a more powerful option but im looking to do something well fun, ive put SR's and KA's in things i wouldnt have thought possible just kinda looking for something new...

-PSi

have you considered the SR20VET? It has 280 hp.

they're a little expensive though.

I like the QR though. It's a peppy motor, but when you take a look at the stock QR rods compared to stock SR rods, the motor is very underbuilt. I've also conversed with someone who had the headgasket go twice on his. Once on the stock gasket with all factory stuff, and then once again on his turbocharged setup he installed after the first headgasket went.

have you considered the SR20VET? It has 280 hp.

they're a little expensive though.

I like the QR though. It's a peppy motor, but when you take a look at the stock QR rods compared to stock SR rods, the motor is very underbuilt. I've also conversed with someone who had the headgasket go twice on his. Once on the stock gasket with all factory stuff, and then once again on his turbocharged setup he installed after the first headgasket went.

Ive done a few swaps into mid 90's SE'r's with SR20VE's but never boosted one.. very finicky engines imo..

I dont want this to sound harsh but i get a lot of "X" engine sux cause it has these problems etc. And the only real reason ive come up with this is "care and work expirience" Ive built a turbo GA16DE that was more reliable than the stock POS GA16DE, if that makes sense.

The QR is under engineered, but doesnt mean its not engineered enough.. Ive been working with KA's and SR's like crazy for the last 3 years due to the huge drifting boom, and the SR breaks more than any "over engineered" engine ive ever worked on its archaic head design (that flows like ish). The KA-T is the beter choice... Ring lands are the only problem ive ever see with the KA and thats easily solved....

All in all im doing it cause i want something different not to mention its going to be for the fun factor and who in the world doest think amazing tourqe isnt fun? the QR25DE has more tq than any 4 banger ive ever driven...

=)

We will see... Im still trying to get a frontier tranny, till then i wont be able to see if it will even work...

-PSi

Ive done a few swaps into mid 90's SE'r's with SR20VE's but never boosted one.. very finicky engines imo..

I dont want this to sound harsh but i get a lot of "X" engine sux cause it has these problems etc. And the only real reason ive come up with this is "care and work expirience" Ive built a turbo GA16DE that was more reliable than the stock POS GA16DE, if that makes sense.

The QR is under engineered, but doesnt mean its not engineered enough.. Ive been working with KA's and SR's like crazy for the last 3 years due to the huge drifting boom, and the SR breaks more than any "over engineered" engine ive ever worked on its archaic head design (that flows like ish). The KA-T is the beter choice... Ring lands are the only problem ive ever see with the KA and thats easily solved....

All in all im doing it cause i want something different not to mention its going to be for the fun factor and who in the world doest think amazing tourqe isnt fun? the QR25DE has more tq than any 4 banger ive ever driven...

=)

We will see... Im still trying to get a frontier tranny, till then i wont be able to see if it will even work...

-PSi

I totally understand where you're coming from. Take a look at the threads I've made in the RB section about my engine build to see why I'm all for whatever build you consider.

I have my opinions about certain engines, but in my eyes, any engine in a Z is cool by me, as long as it moves as well as the original or provides some sort of advantage in another area that the L6 does not.

That, to me, is cool enough for any Z :D

do the QR :-)

it'll just add to the amount of cool projects on this board, and that's what makes hybridz better than any other z board.

Raff

My '02 Altima 2.5S has 106k on it, 70k of that with the JWT balance shaft delete kit, an unorthodox lightened crank pulley, and a JWT lightweight flywheel/clutch combo. It's way faster than it should be, but being that it's in an Altima it's still not fast on the grand scale of fast. I've always wanted to see one of these motors go into an RWD platform, but haven't seen anyone come up with a tranny combo yet. The reason the rods are "underbuilt" as you guys put it is because they wanted to reduce the rotating mass of the engine. It wasn't designed for boost. Nissan used to advertise that the QR was something like 30% lighter than the KA24DE and even marginally lighter than the SR20DE. I'm on my factory head gasket, and have had no problems whatsoever with that. I AM however on my third mass airflow meter, but that all went down within the first six months of ownership.

*edit* in regards to the rwd tranny: you say the frontier has those now? that really makes me wonder why this swap isn't more common for 510 guys at least...

• 2 weeks later...
How much are junk yard engine and transmission units running?

What about the ECU? Wouldn't that be a pain to setup without going aftermarket?

I havent found one yet but it will hve to be mixed and matched...

The info i have come up with as to the best build:

SpecV ECU

SER or SPecV Harness

Frontier Block

SER head

Frontier belhousing

SPecV 6 speed tranny

SER intake manifold and injectors

The issue becomes the drive by wire, but can be made to work with simple wirring expirience and the module from any drive by wire Nissan (as they all share the same signal module partn #)

The ignition also becomes an issue...

Nissan now has a coded key lockout system meaning if the ECU doesnt sense that the key is coded the ECu will auto shut down (anti theft)...

Not all QR's were equipped with this feature so its possible to get one without the coded key feature (but in a junkyard you will never know)

This can be erased by consult (Nissan diagnostic and tune tool) But the issue is if you dont have it in a post 2002 sentra you wont be able to access with Consult due to no port.

Im working on a conversion harness for Consult as we speak for a QR25DE in a 1990 240sx S13... (im only working on the electronics i did not do the swap)

The last option you have is going standalone thus eliviating the need for an ECU (Im not going this route if i do it) ......

The driveshaft shold be comparable to the Z's original as Nissan hasnt changed these much other than circumfrence (sp?) so the flang and imput shoud be able to be moddified to work..

-PSi

Don't forget the Altimas, there are almost definitely more QR25DE equipped Altimas on the road than Sentra SER-SpecVs (and therefore more of them likely to become available in the boneyards). Something i found out the hard way is that the Altima uses different motor mounts than the Spec-V, so there may be more differences in the two than that.

Don't forget the Altimas, there are almost definitely more QR25DE equipped Altimas on the road than Sentra SER-SpecVs (and therefore more of them likely to become available in the boneyards). Something i found out the hard way is that the Altima uses different motor mounts than the Spec-V, so there may be more differences in the two than that.

The head is completely dif, the tunes are dif, other that that they are the same... Im using the frontier block for its RWD setup (mounts will be easier to make brackets) The ECU from the sentra and the altima being dif also means the harness is dif.. Thus creating the same issue of port access....

Im also not sure i can use the 6speed tranny from the SPec just hoping really otherwise im stuck with a rwd version (made for the truck) ...

I had thought of the altima head being better possibly due to the nature of the valve overlap on cam lobes...

Im gonna boost it so overlap+turbo = bad NA high reving cams actually hurt turbo engines.. The Altima has NA cams but are more like a truck setup meaning the powerband is made more for hauling a large car than for mid-upper lvl power range from the spec...

Thanks for mentioning that whole Altima thing otherwise i would have never considered looking at the cam spec of each head...

-PSi

So the intakes face the proper way and clear alright? I've seen a good many FWD engines that havee the intakes facing the transmission side. . .

No... This is where the manifold must be flipped.... (I assisted int eh troubleshooting for this on the 240sx...)

Basicly you cut the runner close to the intake mani, flip the log over tig them back on and go... Not a huge issue...

Your other option is to use the intake mani from the truck but its not a log style (basicly the MAFS sits on top of a lower intake track) Not a good idea for any type of top end performance but great for low end tq, as this creates a dif turbulance and shorter intake runner developing max tq much sooner...

-PSi

my wife has an 02 ser with the qr25 and let me tell you that ours is nothing but a gas guzzler. 11-16 mpg mixed driving and NO! im not kidding. highway milage is pretty good though @ 25-27mpg and i do mean highway ONLY. the qr25 is a luck of the draw kind of thing, you may get the one with bad mpgs, or the one that burns XXqts per month. i really havent looked very deep into the problems im having but, ive taken the car to the dealer when it was still under warranty and they claimed that nothing was wrong. unfortunatly they where right. if you shift the car under 3000rpm the entire time you drive it youll achieve the manufacturers mpg estimates. for every 500rpm over 3000rpm youll lose about 2-3 mpg. but on the bright side its a very peppy motor with a bunch of torque. one more caution and ill shutup. before you install the motor (if you get one) and you use the stock intake manifold, be sure to lock-tite the butterfly screws in the short runner of the intake. if you dont, the constant opening/closing (dual runner long/short) and vibrations will let a screw go and bye bye to at least a valve or piston not to mention god forbid it gets through all that and hits the turbo. some have good QRs and some dont. i know all about a ruined turbo and it sucks. use to have an 87 starion and one of the jetvalves (aux intake valve) broke off, went throught the ex valve, wedged itself in the turbine only after it chewed most of it and the housing. sorry for the big long winded rant but alot of people have problems with the QR.

my wife has an 02 ser with the qr25 and let me tell you that ours is nothing but a gas guzzler. 11-16 mpg mixed driving and NO! im not kidding. highway milage is pretty good though @ 25-27mpg and i do mean highway ONLY. the qr25 is a luck of the draw kind of thing, you may get the one with bad mpgs, or the one that burns XXqts per month. i really havent looked very deep into the problems im having but, ive taken the car to the dealer when it was still under warranty and they claimed that nothing was wrong. unfortunatly they where right. if you shift the car under 3000rpm the entire time you drive it youll achieve the manufacturers mpg estimates. for every 500rpm over 3000rpm youll lose about 2-3 mpg. but on the bright side its a very peppy motor with a bunch of torque. one more caution and ill shutup. before you install the motor (if you get one) and you use the stock intake manifold, be sure to lock-tite the butterfly screws in the short runner of the intake. if you dont, the constant opening/closing (dual runner long/short) and vibrations will let a screw go and bye bye to at least a valve or piston not to mention god forbid it gets through all that and hits the turbo. some have good QRs and some dont. i know all about a ruined turbo and it sucks. use to have an 87 starion and one of the jetvalves (aux intake valve) broke off, went throught the ex valve, wedged itself in the turbine only after it chewed most of it and the housing. sorry for the big long winded rant but alot of people have problems with the QR.

=) I've owned 2 SpecV's (2002) One aztec red and one blackout...

I will say niether was great on gas, and one had more issues than the other (NEVER had burning oil issues) but to make this as simple as possible without starting debate.. Every engine in the world burns oil be it 1/2 qt to 1 qt per 3000-5000 miles... Its just the nature of the beast and the fact that no engine is imaclate (meaning perfection would be nice but its literally impossible) As far as the butterfly screws... They will be removed (the butterflys) this is mainly due to my KA-T expirience with butterfly (very bad under boost and getting boost spike even in warm weather)...

Lastly i understand lots of people dont like these engines have problems and so forth and so on i also understand the nature of the beast (only the bad is made public) No one ever gets on a forum and talks about how good a stock engine is, and if they do positive does not out weigh the negative (Ignorance is bliss) .....

Its been this way for years now and ive worked with many QR's no issues...

Not to mention its normally SE-R / SpecV owners who complain but in actuallity they are a very small percentage (2%) of the actual amount of QR25 donned vehicles in production and circulation.. I dont ever hear of altima owners saying how many problems the QR has... This leads me to believe with popular opinion that the majority of SE-R owners (SpecV as well) tend to drive the QR a little hard (redline every gear all the time), this would lead to premature engine wear etc.

Im building a QR not just putting a stock QR in =) this give me an advantage to all the others (I know what the engine is capable of) and plan to use this advantage...

But good call on the gas mileage and the RPM range, this is 100% true as i have read Nissans TSB's (Used to be a Nissan tech before moving on to school and development) ....

-PSi

if you where a tech then you know what your in for and youve owned a couple. i do find it funny that i never really hear or read about problem qrs in the altima. i agree that ive read so many threads and seen so many vids of ser owners wot alot. oru poor little ser is lucky to see wot maybe two or three times in a year. the mpg problem can be anything but i think it has alot to do with the knock sensor and ecu. it could be any number of things but i feel it has alot to do with those two things. ive been looking at piggyback units that have logging capability and a wideband eg or even a standalone. personaly im a big fan of the weight distribution with the sr20 and the amount of space left in front for cooling. good luck to you on your qr build if you decide to do so.

if you where a tech then you know what your in for and youve owned a couple. i do find it funny that i never really hear or read about problem qrs in the altima. i agree that ive read so many threads and seen so many vids of ser owners wot alot. oru poor little ser is lucky to see wot maybe two or three times in a year. the mpg problem can be anything but i think it has alot to do with the knock sensor and ecu. it could be any number of things but i feel it has alot to do with those two things. ive been looking at piggyback units that have logging capability and a wideband eg or even a standalone. personaly im a big fan of the weight distribution with the sr20 and the amount of space left in front for cooling. good luck to you on your qr build if you decide to do so.

Thanks...

As stated before the SR isnt my favorite engine from TONS of exp =).....

Im doing it because im tired of working with SR's KA's etc.

Im at the stage in my life where I can do things just because... =)

-PSi