HybridZ

Surge Tank Fabrication for the Z, will it work?

Yorgee

Haven't really been posting much on hybrid lately. But have been doing a lot

of reading. Planning to install MS pretty soon and have all the components

I need to get the job done. The only thing I was missing was a 280z gas tank

so I wouldn't run into an fuel starvation problems with my new configuration. But I came across a link someone had posted about a surge tank (http://www.sdsefi.com/techsurge.htm) that seemed to be fairly simple to

make. And this is what I came up with on Sunday.

DSC00527.jpg

I'm almost finished with it, I kinda ran out of weld. But it was holding up to

50-60 psi until I welded on the last nut. Just have to fix a small leak, then

it should be good to go. I just took a basic cylinder of galvanized steel(only

place that was open was ACE and they had threaded pieces of pipe) and

welded on these two half circles of metal I had bought earlier to make some hub caps for my wheels. It's about the size of one of those Large Arizona

Ice tea cans and holds about a pint of liquid( which was recommended on the site). I'm planning on just using the stock 240z tank.This should work.....right?

• Administrators

Yorgee,

You appear to be on the right track.

A quick search revealed these surge can thread posted here on HybridZ. The two links should help visually explain the surge tank and its purpose more clearly and shows a few good DIY surge can/tank ideas. As well.

click ME for; "Here's an easy to make surge tank"

click ME for; "Fabbing surge tank, catch can, and coolant overflow."

Good luck,

Paul

I can understand wanting to fabricate your own parts, but for my time and money, I just bought a bronco II surge tank from fordpartsnetwork for something like $28 shipped! I don't even have a job and my time is worth more than the money saved by fabricating your own, so cost effectivity is a moot point IMO.

P1014164.jpg

I can understand wanting to fabricate your own parts, but for my time and money, I just bought a bronco II surge tank from fordpartsnetwork for something like $28 shipped! I don't even have a job and my time is worth more than the money saved by fabricating your own, so cost effectivity is a moot point IMO.

P1014164.jpg

Where was this info when I was trying to figure out a surge tank solution.

Have you tested this yet in a Z car? How big is that unit? Looks like a great solution to our problems if it works.

Do you have a part number?

Where was this info when I was trying to figure out a surge tank solution.

Have you tested this yet in a Z car? How big is that unit? Looks like a great solution to our problems if it works.

Do you have a part number?

I read about this part here and at zcar. I have not run it in the car, I went a different route. It is about the size of an oil filter. Part number is 9k044, its from an 86-90 ford bronco II. I tried to find a link to the site where I bought it from and it appears to no longer exist.

Also, there used to be lots of info about this on zcar, but it's also NLA.

-Joe

$28 shipped would be a great deal! Earlier this summer I went with the Australian surge tank for just under $100 delivered.

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.php?currency=USD&products_id=126

I hated to spend that much, but in all fairness it was well built and mounted quite easily. I went with the one with the mounting tabs on the top and mounted it just in front of the gas tank. Since installing it I haven't had to do a thing with it. Just as it should be :)

• Administrators

I have searched the internet on an off again over the past couple years for over the counter surge tanks and the only aftermarket over the counter surge tank info I was able to scrounge up were only offered in Australia, and several at that, nothing really stateside other than incorporated surge tanks in the exotic high dollar fuel cells or using a VW in tank pump which has a built in surge tank. Some DIY tanks/cans, both integral with the fuel pump internal of the fuel tank and external, but this Ford item never showed up in my searches, Hmm..

I just did an internet search and put out a few feelers for this Ford surge tank, (Ford refers to it as a “Fuel Reserve” and one dealer told me it comes in either 3 or 6 port configuration), including a couple Ford Dealerships, and the 9k044 is a discontinued item, was not superseded and no part cross over. Drat…

It would be nice to know what the inlet/outlet fitting size is and if any one can still source these?...

Here is a diagram I did find in my search just now…

9k044.1.jpg

http://www.grahamparts.com/parts_info.php?part=FOTZ%209K044%20A

I called, they have two in stock for $48.76,

-Joe

Hey guys. I did some searching on the web and found one for $27.44 plus $9 shipping. Total was $36.44 including shipping. I went ahead and ordered one. I got it from this place:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214577

Yeah Braap, I came across an Australian site as well. Most surge tanks that came up in my search were for coolant overflow. And Joe, I know saving time is important but wasting a few hours making my surge tank only cost me a sunday afternoon and about 8 dollars, I'm trying to save as much money as possible. Plus I'd never pass up a good opportunity to pull the welder out. That's exactly what I'm doing to do though, have my old 5 psi pump fill the surge tank then have the high pressure on the other end, supplying the injectors.

And Joe, I know saving time is important but wasting a few hours making my surge tank only cost me a sunday afternoon and about 8 dollars, I'm trying to save as much money as possible. Plus I'd never pass up a good opportunity to pull the welder out.

Nice, work. That is probably 5 hours shorter than it would have taken me. But I'm usually multitasking :) (read drinking beer)

p.s. I'm sorry to jack your thread, but I felt the need to post info regarding this particular tank because I noticed a lot less threads about it on zcar since the last time I searched over there.

I'm sorry to jack your thread, but I felt the need to post info regarding this particular tank because I noticed a lot less threads about it on zcar since the last time I searched over there.

I, for one, am glad that you did. When I was researching a surge tank here a few years ago, this info did not show up in my search. All I found were units that some had made and links to ones down under. I ended up getting a gas tank from a 76 280Z and installed that into my 240Z. I certainly would have tried to use the Ford surge tank if I had known about. I plan to use the one I ordered on my 510 VG30 Swap.

Haha, Not a problem though. Least now I know there is an alternative I can purchase if mine ends up not working for any reason.

If you plan to buy one, DO IT NOW. The place I ordered mine from called me this morning saying it was a discontinued part but their computer showed that they had one in stock and they would ship it. Then they called back and said they couldn't locate it. Then they called back and said that they had found it and it is shipping out today. I asked if they had more but it was the last one. I would have bougt a few of them at that price.

I just received my Ford surge tank. It looks like it will be a great fit for my Datsun 510 VG30 swap. I think it would fit well in a Z car too.

From what I can see it looks like it wll hold about a half a liter of fuel.

The one thing I can't figure out is the inlet/outlets. I pulled off all of the caps and it seems that not all 4 flow in and out together. The top one on each side is somehow connected to the bottom one on the other side. I determined this by blowing through them one at a time and plugging each of the other holes one at a time and all together.

P1014164.jpg

There are 2 larger fittings and 2 smaller fittings. The larger 2 are connected to each other and the smaller 2 are connected to each other. I guess I need to try to put some liquid through it and figure it out. From what I see there may be 2 separate chambers inside of it. If this is the case, I don't know if it will work as a surge tank.

This site shows how a surge tank is supposed to be set up:

http://www.sdsefi.com/techsurge.htm

Where can I find a diagram showing the intended use from Ford and what each fitting is used for?

Any suggestions?

Besides the fact that the larger ones are your main fuel line and smaller are return lines, I'd guess there may be some sort of bypass valve inside that allows fuel from the return line to enter the primary feed stream if pressure drops below a certain point. That would be my guess, as I don't see any other way it would work. Use your X-ray vision and look inside! :)