HybridZ

280z wont start, just clicks!

Bics280z

Alright I have a 280z that I just bought, 1978 and it will just click but never start, it has started a few times, new battery and new alternator. Looking at the schematics, it looks like when you turn the key, power goes from the fusible link to the starter and it should crank. I located a relay behind the glove box, its goldish in color with about 5-6 prongs that I can hear where the clicking is coming from,so I know the relay is getting power, but not sure if this is just a bad fusible link or bad relay, any input would be nice. Its not the starter clicking, its the relay clicking.

dont think you read my post very well either, if you noticed, new starter and new batt, obviously the solenoid is part of the starter.

Let's ease up here a bit.....Because it's new doesn't mean it's good. For instance I had a new MSD box wired backwards, went thru 3 new fuel regulators to find a good one and lost a lobe at run-in on a rebuilt engine. Therefore recheck everything. NEW does not mean GOOD.

LARRY

Datsun's are notorious for having a bad connection from the starter to the fusible links (which also feed the ignition relay, that clicks inside the passenger cabin when you turn the key). Of course, if you are talking about a louder click, the sound the bad solenoid makes (yes, even new ones come out bad...), then change out the solenoid. Where did you get the replacement starter?

Disconnect the black/yellow lead from the solenoid, hook up a test light from that wire to ground and turn the key. Does it light? If so, problem is w/ the solenoid, sorry to say. (Just changed mine out tonight, same problem)

I got a reman HITACHI from Bap Geon for seventy bucks and some change for a '83 280ZX gear reduction starter/solenoid ass'y.

Wayne

found the problem, but i wasnt trying to be rude but the guy just came in the post, acusing me of not doing a search, which I did, I tried everything I found. Now for the problem.

I figured out that its in the ignition itself, when I go to start it will click, but if i put the key in and press up and to the left while starting, the car will fire up. It has to be a bad connection inside the ignition switch. thank you for all of those who had some input, i really appreciate it.

hehe i have that problem. Anyone who gets in my car cant turn the key because the lock cylinder won't turn unless you have the key in *just* the right amount, and when they try to start it, it will just click unless you push the key in as you are turning.

I guess i'm the only one who's supposed to drive my car :-P