HybridZ

1/2" Head Studs 2JZ?

JustinOlson

What is involved in converting a 2JZ over to 1/2" head studs? Z-Gad mentioned that he used Big Block Ford Head Studs in his 2JZ build.

Do I need to machined the block and tap it for new threads? What drill size and tap should I use?

What size do I drill the head for to clear the studs?

Finally which BB ford studs do I buy?

Regards,

Justin

The first questions are answered once you find the correct answer for the last question.

Ideally, if the head stud is not more than a millimeter larger than the current studs, then you would drill the holes out to the larger size, and then rethread the existing pattern with the new size... keeping the same pitch. (that's what you're supposed to do with an RB30 + 26 head, since the bolt sizes only differ by .5 mm on opposite ends of the stud threads).

If you can find out what studs they are, then the rest would come pretty easy, I'd think.

not sure if they still have them at that price though. Very knowledgeable people on the JZ engines.

Supraforums special : L19 head studs for the 2JZ $450

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We currently have 5 sets of L19 stock sized head studs for the 2JZ in stock and are offering a Supraforums special of $450 per set. The headstuds usually sell for $750 a set. These are the same headstuds that we use on our methanol racecar that has handled 45+ psi with no issues.

http://www.rrevstore.com/catalog/adv...+supra&x=0&y=0

Please PM or email if you have any questions

Brian@rrevmotorsports.com

OK there is not a particular part number for the headstuds... they are an ARP application for the Ford big blocks (i.e. 351). They are under the ARP 4000-series, and are 1/2" by 4.5" long and sold individually directly from ARP. You'll also want the smallest nuts they offer, as there is not any room for a socket. Machine work was also required down into the lifter bores of the cylider head to clearance for the studs/nuts.

That's the info I was given...

Mike

• 3 months later...