HybridZ

dual exhaust pics

I know there is an exhaust pics, but alota that is for I6's and single, and exhaust tech questions.

I just want to see some dual exhaust pics, and how you guys route them. Am i right to think that round 2.5 pipes, with 2 mufflers, is gonna suck on ground clearence?

lots of pictures here http://www.v8-240z.com/files/datsun/exhaust/

I used to have big ground clearance, but my car sat to high. Now that I'm putting in coilovers I can readjust the height, but it also depends on how tight you want to tuck the exhaust in the tunnel, which for me included a home made transmission crossmember and notching the rear control arm bracket.

I don't know how the transmission tunnel is on a 74, but on my 72 it required some hammering on the tunnel to make room. If I were to do it again I would have cut the corners of the transmission tunnel out and welded flat sheet stock to them.

It's not the prettiest, but my setup includes dual cats into morroso spiral flows into magnaflows out back.

3718_thumb.attach

car pics 018_thumb.JPG

car pics 017_thumb.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2 1/2" Flowmaster (2 in 2 out) that turns down in front of the rear crossmember. The muffler is barely lower than the frame rail, so clearance is great.

It's pretty loud inside the car though, but it's NOT my daily driver.

DSC03232.JPG

DSC03234.JPG

DSC03233.JPG

Something else to keep in mind is the heat generated by tucking the exhaust up tight. I have exhaust wrap around where the tranmission is and it makes a big difference in keeping the heat away from the trans. The floor also has an extra layer of heat/sound insulation.

I may opt to go for some aluminum heat shielding instead of wrap later. Every time I spill oil on the wrap it take a long time to burn it off and you can't just wipe it off.

• 2 years later...

I used to have big ground clearance, but my car sat to high. Now that I'm putting in coilovers I can readjust the height, but it also depends on how tight you want to tuck the exhaust in the tunnel, which for me included a home made transmission crossmember and notching the rear control arm bracket.

I don't know how the transmission tunnel is on a 74, but on my 72 it required some hammering on the tunnel to make room. If I were to do it again I would have cut the corners of the transmission tunnel out and welded flat sheet stock to them.

It's not the prettiest, but my setup includes dual cats into morroso spiral flows into magnaflows out back.

Reviving an old post - Looking at the pics of the 2 mufflers side by side in the stock location, I'd like to "try" to fit 2 Borla mufflers in that same space with minimal mods... They seem much smaller than the ones in the picture - The ones I'm looking at are 13 1/4" x 4" x 9 1/2" and come in any combination of offset or centered inlet/outlet. I haven't found a post where anyone has tried 2 mufflers that small in that area and so far my rough measurements seem to indicate that it "might" work... I would be running dual 2 1/2" pipes and have a stock fuel tank...

Would love to hear any feedback on whether it could be done and if a combination of mixing mufflers with different offsets would help with pipe routing and clearance

car%20pics%20017.JPG

Edited by kjones