HybridZ

Chassis stiffening & rust removal

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

My SFC goes straight back from the T/C brackets so they are a little outward from the engine bay frame rails.

Wheather you do it like jimbo or me, the SFC is going to line up near point "B". It's not goimg to be in the way of the suspension.

Good luck.

• 4 months later...
I was under my Friend's 350Z the other day and I noticed it had a tubular member that connected one rocker to 2 suspension mounting points then back to the other rocker. It looked like a great way to stiffen up the front of the rockers and chassis so I went ahead and tried to make somthing similar with my car.

On the rear of the car, I was hacking the spare tire well out and I saw that there was a big boxed member under my STB. If i had realized this before I would have triangulated that area a long time ago! So i went ahead and did that with the same material I used for my front STB.

Onto the subject of stiffening the rear frame, i'm currently installing a fuel cell and i'm still stuck on designing the frame for the cell. I've seen different setups where the fuel cell frame connects from side to side on the frame rails, and some setups that connect from front to back also on the frame.

I know both setups are strong enough to hold the fuel cell safely, my question is which setup would also help the ridgidity of the stock frame rails?

IMG_0690.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

In the first three pictures.. what am I looking at? That bar going across, is that the way it is stock, or is that something you added? Or, is the bar stock, but the little diagonal connections going off of the main bar something you added?

I do not yet have a Z, and this post has served as a great guide for chassis stiffening, but that one part has me confused as I do not know what it would normally look like.

Thanks.

In the first three pictures.. what am I looking at? That bar going across, is that the way it is stock, or is that something you added? Or, is the bar stock, but the little diagonal connections going off of the main bar something you added?

I do not yet have a Z, and this post has served as a great guide for chassis stiffening, but that one part has me confused as I do not know what it would normally look like.

Thanks.

I made all of that for additional support for the T/C bracket and frame rails sort of like a crossmember.

Kinda bummed because now to have to get rid of it to fit the VQ :?