HybridZ

shaving the drip rails

torynich

Well. Thier function is to stop water from rolling off the roof line and directly over the side windows. It directs the water to the back and allows it to drain off. If you shave them,you will most likely have a problem of rain getting past your window seals and soaking you and your seat. That is unless you have really new seals and everything is lined up REALLY well. Even if you can stop the rain from entering the car, you still have to worry about the down poor of water as you exit the car while its raining.

If you decide to shave them for sure,IM me and I'll give you some tips that could save you some time.

Dont shave them IMO

It looks great but there are a couple drawback. One if you drive in the rain or get in your car when it is wet you will get water all in your lap. Another thing that you dont think about the the door to body fitting at the top. The drip rails hide that and also protect it from the weather.

I shaved mine and i love the look but i would prolly have left them if i was going to. do it over.

I think you should definitely keep them. I love how it looks plus its just such a functional piece. We had our first rain of the season yesterday and I love how I can open my windows 2 inches while its POURING with not one drop coming in the windows.

Keep em!

If I remember right when I cut my top off there was lead in between the layers of the drip rail. Datsun must use it as a sealer after it is spot welded. Be sure to clean all of that off or welding the seams back will not be fun.

I have a patch of lead just over the quarter window, but it's not in between the roof or the drip rail sills.

Is that common?

Both points that Austin covered were things I thought of. And while I love the look of it, I think I just might keep them on.

It's a tough debate in the name of form vs. function. =(

What about removing them to powdercoat them black or something? Don't know what sort of look you're going for, or even if that's possible. Just a thought.

Can you remove those without tearing them up beyond the point of reusing them?

Yes but you have to be really careful. I didnt want to break it so I took about an hour to take it off but once you get the first one off the other is easy. The only thing that broke off were the small snaps the hold it onto the drip rail but those can be fixed easily.

Yes but you have to be really careful. I didnt want to break it so I took about an hour to take it off but once you get the first one off the other is easy. The only thing that broke off were the small snaps the hold it onto the drip rail but those can be fixed easily.

Any advice on the procedure?

The way I did it was by pushing up and out on the front tip of the drip rail trim. Once the first snap popped off I just tried to find where the next snap was and pushed up from that point. Once you get the front off youll be able to slide the flat part while puling up on it.

When I was removing my drip rail trim I asked here but most of the responses were difficult to follow but hopefully youll be able to figure mine out.

What about removing them to powdercoat them black or something? Don't know what sort of look you're going for, or even if that's possible. Just a thought.

Can you remove those without tearing them up beyond the point of reusing them?

There are covers over he drip rail that can be removed but you can not remove a drip rail and then just re-instal it. The rail itself must be "cut" off by cut off wheel or other means. What is left behind is a worthless 1/4 inch wide strip of metal.

What is this drip rail I keep hearing so much about? Does the 280ZX have it also?

:lol: Yes, the zx also has one. There is a thin strip of metal that protrudes off the roof line just over the top of the doors. It usually has a pc. of trim over it unless someone has removed it. If you look at the top of your driver and passanger window where the rubber meets the window,the drip rail is just above that rubber.

To pull off my drip rails, I used a flathead screwdriver and very carefully pushed away from the roof, if I remember correctly.

I then put gloves on and slid them down and off at the front for the stubborn one on the drivers side. It slowly slid after I pushed it far enough so that it wasn't holding onto anything anymore. Just don't force it too much, don't hammer it, and don't scrape it.

mines ended up looking the same way they were when they were on the car. I just did it slowly.

Just look at the way it's on, it's not that hard to take off in most cases, i'd assume (unless someone replaced and glued them on)