HybridZ

gas...

How long can gasoline sit in a fuel cell without going bad? I've been on "vacation" for 9 months (got laid off) and my sbc 400 needs sleeved so now that I have a job again I can afford to have the engine put back together! Yippee!! Maybe I can even keep it together for longer than 3 months this time. LOL!

But the gas has been sitting there all this time, I figure I should drain it, but I have no easy way to do it and dispose of it properly, so I though I would ask!

Thanks!

If it was setting outside for 9 months, I would say drain it to be safe. If it was inside it is probably ok. I have been storing my 71 Z inside for more than 9 months at a time for the last 20 years and never had a gas related problem. As far as how to drain it, cant you just siphon it out? I would dispose of it by mixing it with gas for my daily driver unless it is obviously contaminated.

It's been in the garage the whole time... John, my only issue is that it's a 15 gallon fuel cell and I have at least 10 gallons in it... I don't have enough gas cans to hold that much. If I would have to, I would drain some, find out where I can dispose of it, and then repeat... lol!

Those of us in the military can usually get away with a few months on the stabilized fuel, but it doesn't keep it perfect. I typically end up using my stabilized gas for something less picky than a high performance engine.

For instance, my bike had a full tank of stabilized fuel in it. It fired up, which is better than my friend's bike who didn't stabilize the gas (his seems to have separated, and possibly varnished the carbs), but it's pinging. So this tank of fuel will be going into the gas tank of another friend's old F250, which doesn't care what octane it drinks.

For the car at hand, putting out that kind of HP, I'd play it safe and put the fuel aside to another vehicle, one with lower performance requirements.