HybridZ

All electric

9kredline

Guest griff30

I had thought of this and I always wanted to do this to a VW kit car the Sterling. The Sterling looked like the Batmobile already and was light weight and had the lifting canopy top thats like an aircraft. They can be found on ebay for under 2k.:-)

• 4 months later...

I did some research on this subject a quite a few years ago (when I lived close to work approx 30km's each way) (mid 90's)

I found a site where a guy bought a late 80's mazda 626. Sold the motor to make some cash for the electrics. He ran simply 12 car batteries, and mated an electric motor to the stock 5 spd. He gutted the car as much as possible, and managed the full conversion for 8K including the purchase of the car. (a late 80's mazda in the mid 90's..I think the car was 2-3K) It ran on plug in power, but only had a range of 40miles. I don't know if the site still exists, but I printed off the entire site with all of his diagrams parts lists etc. It still seems viable, and although prices may have increased, but the technology has grown quite a bit since the 90's.

If I lived closer to work (currently 100km's each way) I would seriously consider it again..I'm already considering bellypans, and gutting the car of weight as it is (02 civic) to save some money. If gas gets much more $, I may actually do it. But hey. I still have my monster Z for when I want some fun driving.

peace.

I see where you were coming from, though, Pop.

As far as the XTs go... they are ugly as sin, but they are an engineering masterpiece. 0.29 drag coefficient, AWD, handle amazingly.

I dunno, seems like this might be your answer.

8968017a.jpg

Guest Dustin M

if you're wanting an Opel GT, there's two of them sitting outside my buddies shop in Tallahassee, I thought about picking them up, but I don't know anything about them.

if you're wanting an Opel GT, there's two of them sitting outside my buddies shop in Tallahassee, I thought about picking them up, but I don't know anything about them.

I don't know a ton about them either, but I know they're becoming quite the collector car.

They've been on my list of cars to look out for as a potential GRM/LeMons candidate, but they're simply too expensive of a base, and when you do fine one for cheap it's truly a heap of bolts.