HybridZ

240z, Rear sway bar?

mine didn't have one....i bought the brackets from suspenion techniques i think it was...the sway bar goes behind the dif towards the back of the car. it replaces brackets that hold the bar reight behind the dif, and has provisions for the sway bar clamp and bushings. looks like this

DSC03710-large.jpg

i think that's dat240zg's pic

The 73s did not come with a bar but the mounting tabs you see on the sub-frame in front of the a-arms are the same ones used by the 260s and 280s. you can get a stock 280 bar with the mount clamps and bushings and mount it right on.

I'm running the MSA 7/8" rear bar and find it to be just a tab to large, makes the tail a little happier than I want it.

BTW: What about hitting an on ramp makes you think you need a rear bar?

Wheelman

Cause there is this one getting on I35 here in Joklahoma, that you can get up to atleast 70-80, and it has a slight sweep to it with a small bank that you can carry the speed through. I always feel the rear stepping out, like swaying a bit. Not a real problem, but when the wife yells at you 'cause you forget you aren't allowed to have fun when she is in the car, and complains that it feels like we are going to spin... yeah...

DSC03710-large.jpg

Just upgraded my 1971 to Z31 CV Axles R200 and my ST bar will not work it hits the CV Axles using the stock brackets. I have the brackets that came with ST rear bar different shape. I heard that I have to mount them up in front of the chapman arms by the nose of the diff like the later 240s had in order to make this work. My Z does not have these mounting points :hs:

Does anyone have a picture or can confirm this, that is running my similar setup?

Thanks,

Astral Ace,

Listen to what's been said before you install a rear sway bar.

If you aren't running one right now and the rear "steps out" on you then installing one will probably make it more likely to "step out" (over steer).

If you install a larger front bar it should reduce this tendency.

Another option is running wider tires in the rear, this should provide more traction and again reduce the tendency to "step out".

Is the drivetrain stock and if not how has it been modified?

Wheelman

As was posted, 73's did not come with a rear sway bar. If you want to install one in the rear, I wouldn't do it without upgrading the front bar to match. You can get a good deal on an ST sway bar set from Summit Racing.

Bobby C., Is the sway bar upside down in your pic?

240ztt, Have you tried shortening your end links? It should fit if you do. I just installed the ST set on my 73 and it fits with the end links shortened, but I don't know if there's enough clearance yet. I also have custom lower arms with multiple connection points for the end links.

DSCF4377.JPG

240ztt, Have you tried shortening your end links? It should fit if you do. I just installed the ST set on my 73 and it fits with the end links shortened, but I don't know if there's enough clearance yet. I also have custom lower arms with multiple connection points for the end links.

Bart,

No I haven't. I will try them with the ST supplied brackets instead of the 240Z ones to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...
When I say stepping out, I mean the body roll... forgive me, it was in the wee hours when I posted this thread. Now that I look at it, I would guess the same thing by "stepping out." But I mean swaying out/rolling outwards. Just body roll.

Whatever you think the name or cause of your handling problem is, your description of the symptom demonstrates that you are loose in the center of a turn, after the car has taken a set. Adding a rear swaybar will make this condition worse. If your strut cartridges are not used up (the most likely cause), then stiffen your front swaybar. If you need more, add a stock rear bar. Blueovalz is a smart dude; it's best to at least give some consideration to his input when he chimes in.

- David

• 2 years later...