HybridZ

hydrolic handbrake for drifting...has anyone installed one???

i just head about a hydrolic handbrake that is used for drifting. it doesnt have a button to lock it in the up position. at least thats what i think. i eventually plan on installing the willwood brake upgrades all the way around. i know that it doesnt have any use for a parking brake. you need to use a line lock for that function to work.

has anyone thought about using the hydrolic handbrake, or is currrently using one??? i would like some kind of guidence on this new idea. some sort of info before i deside to go with it or through it out the window. thanks for anything you guys have.

Nick

I have had a couple sets of steering brakes on some sand rails in the past. they sell them in single or double lever type. Definately want the single handle. they work excellent! no reason they could not be used on a "Z".

Bugpac, CNC, and Neal I have used. the CNC are nice but the Neal are the nicest. can get them with billit handles too. cost about $100 - 140 a set.

that's mine there...but don't plan on a ghetto install...i'm actually buidling a box and drilling holes...welding nuts to the back side...and will weld this box to the tranny tunnel so i have a good mounting point in a good location and an over all clean install.

• 2 weeks later...

How do these setups work? Does it require much modification to the overall brake system design of the car?

I'm guessing you put a 1-way valve(diode for hydraulics??) somewhere in the rearward running brake lines, and T this thing in after(closer to rear brakes) that?

rx

the way these work is very similar to the way your master cylinder works. it is spliced into the line going to your rear brakes. so instead of having a reservoir, it gets fluid from the line coming from your master cylinder. when the handle is pulled, it blocks off the inlet hole, and pressurizes the rearward line, squeezing those rotors!

what i was wondering, is what happens to this staging brake when it is engaged and you hit the brakes, pressurizing the line going to the staging cylinder?

not really sure on that one.

i've never heard it reffered to being a hydraulic handbrake. Just a staging brake, which would go to your front wheels to aid in staging, since a line-lock isn't as persice.. i think it would be more useful to just duct tape the hand brake button down, which does the EXACT same thing ^^

except for those of us who no longer have stock rear brakes, (ie. Wilwoods) then that is the only option, other than employing 2 more calipers, mechanical or hydraulic, to stop the rear wheels.

Am I, using too many, commas?? ;)

you are correct, it is a staging brake. but think of it as a staging brake for a FWD car...what brakes lock up when it is engaged?

• 2 years later...

I just bought a Blackworks hydraulic handbrake to put in my 240z to help me toss the rear end. Anybody put one of these in? I need help with the line fitting sizes required. Ive tried 10mm and SAE and neither starts smoothly. I don't want to wreck the threads trying to force the fittings together. Anybody know what size fittings to use? Mounting the brake was easy.

To be honest, the BWR hand brake kit, looks alot like the chinese ebay crap. Their description of it on their website also doesn't inspire a sense of quality. IMHO, with the hand brake being your only backup (besides shutting the motor off) to your brakes, I would go with either a completely different piece, or put an name brand master cylinder on it.

I'm planning on installing a hydro rear brake on my Z when I finish it. My plan is to actually hide the system under the car and use the stock e-brake handle or whatever I retrofit in there.

To be honest I don't have a real reason for wanting one but as someone who also does drift events regularly, I want my e-brake to work RIGHT when I use it so I'm going hydro... and I may take out the Z once or twice so that I can get that classic photo of full opposite lock with a trail of tire smoke for my desktop.

I have one in my car.

all i can say is that the cnc staging brake with a 3/4 bore is subpar for the z's stock drum brakes. im unsure of its effectiveness with a rear disk conversion but a 5/8 cylinder would probably be a better choice with the stock drums. CNC used to sell 5/8 staging brakes but when i ordered mine they said they only had 3/4.

heres a pic:

DSCF3010.jpg

the setup is for sale btw :icon6:

I have one in my car.

all i can say is that the cnc staging brake with a 3/4 bore is subpar for the z's stock drum brakes. im unsure of its effectiveness with a rear disk conversion but a 5/8 cylinder would probably be a better choice with the stock drums. CNC used to sell 5/8 staging brakes but when i ordered mine they said they only had 3/4.

heres a pic:

DSCF3010.jpg

the setup is for sale btw :icon6:

did you leave your stock e-brake in it aswell?

or did you get the staging brake with a line lock?

also how much?

I need a better sliding brake for these drums until i can get my wilwood set up.