Wiring Primer.

V500 has two connectors, A & B.

Connector A diagrammatical...

WolfA.jpg

Connector B diagrammatical...

WolfB.jpg

Pin-Outs, A & B...

PinOuts.jpg

Preface: Installing an EMS is a lot like oil painting... What is ‘correct’ is defined by the artist. In other words, there are an infinite number of way’s to install an EMS, all different, that will work ‘satisfactorily’. Everyone has their own style... and that’s part of what makes it fun. Don’t become obsessed with doing it my way... my way is only one way. Further, every installation I’ve done has been unique... no two are alike. I make an effort to cater to the customer and his/her intended usage.

EMS function can be divided into two main categories... Input and Output.

Example Outputs:

Injectors

Coils

Fan

Fuel pump

Auxiliaries

Shift Light

Audible and visual warning indicators

etc., etc.

Example Inputs:

WT

IAT

TPS

MAP

O2 Sensor

Trigger

Auxiliaries

etc., etc.

Outputs...

Most EMS’s, including OEM, work in a similar fashion with respect to outputs. That is to say that power is provided to various solenoids, actuators, etc... and the ECU grounds them (completing the circuit) to activate.

Example.... an injector has two ‘pins’. One pin is wired to 12 volts (with the key ‘on’) and the other pin is wired to the ECU. When the ECU wants to activate the injector, it grounds the pin (another way to say this is ‘pull low’). Another example... The fuel pump is run by a relay. The relay receives 12 volts with the key 'on'. The ECU pulls the relay ‘low’ to energize the fuel pump.

Exceptions always exist, but that is the most common method of controlling an output.

For a teaser, several of Wolf’s auxiliary outputs can pull both low (ground) and high (12 volts). This can lead to some very creative control... a topic for another day.

Inputs...

Inputs are more diverse. They range from millivolts to over 40 volts (VR sensors can produce considerable voltages).

Common sensors (TPS, MAP, WT, AT, etc.) are 5 volt. The ECU will supply a regulated 5 volts to these types of sensors. The sensor, in doing its job of ‘measuring’, modifies the voltage and ‘returns it’ to the ECU. The ECU will be calibrated (through the software) to know that a return of 1.25 volts is ‘equal to such-and-such’.

Triggers produce a wide range of voltages, from very low to very high (with respect to a nominal 12 volt system). Hall effect and Optical sensors are square-wave and typically 5 or 12 volt, whereas VR’s are sinusoidal (sine-wave) and voltages are virtually ‘anything goes’.

• Administrators

The Foundation... Power and Ground Distribution.

A simple power and ground distribution circuit....

BasicShematic.jpg

A Few Notes:

1). I prefer to use circuit breakers (CB) in lieu of fuses. This reduces of the chances of not being able to reactivate a circuit because I didn’t have a proper fuse along. And frankly... I trust a good ‘ole’ aircraft CB over some of the crappy fuse boxes I’ve seen. CB’s are convenient, reliable, and affordable... they also halt the tendency to ‘fix’ a problem with a bigger fuse :wink:

2). Power runs from the battery to a main CB (located as close to the battery as practical), then on to a main relay. The main relay is switched on by the ignition switch. The relay takes the low current from the ignition switch and closes internal contacts, allowing a high current to pass through the relay. From there, the power is split two way’s... one to a 3amp CB for the ECU, the other to a 30amp fuel pump relay. The Fuel pump relay, activated by the ECU, distributes power to the fuel pump, injectors, and ignition coil(s) via two more CB’s.

3). If you think this through, you’ll realize that the injectors and coil will not receive any power unless the ECU activates the fuel pump. This is true. Typically, an ECU will request the fuel pump under two conditions... for a couple seconds upon initially turning the key ‘on’ (to prime the fuel system), and anytime the ECU detects the engine is turning. Normally, there is no need to have the fuel pump on outside of these two conditions... and normally there is no need to power injectors or coil outside those conditions. This method has some minor drawbacks... but it keeps things simple.

4). You’ll notice both a ground lug and a power lug. In my experience, there is less chance of EMF of RFI, when every ground of the EFI system is grounded to one chassis ground, and that location is grounded directly to the battery. The exception is that I prefer to ground the ignition coil directly to the cylinder head (if it has a dedicated ground). That provides a direct ground path for the spark plugs. The power lug is simply for convenience. It allows easy access for future use (for EFI purposes only!).

CB's installed in passenger footwell....

Installed2.jpg

Inside.jpg

From left to right, 30 amp. relay, 75 amp. relay, and an aircraft CB...

Components.jpg

• Administrators

Ignition Wiring Tip...

When wiring up a multi-coil ignition, I recommend wiring up the channels in the proper firing order.

For example, wiring 6 coils to an L6...

Wolf has 8 ignition channels, so you can wire 6 of those channels, one to each coil (and use the leftover two for auxiliary operations!). The L6 firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. I would normally wire it thusly...

Channel 1 to coil 1

Channel 2 to coil 5

Channel 3 to coil 3

Channel 4 to coil 6

Channel 5 to coil 2

Channel 6 to coil 4

To clarify, You can conceivably wire in any mixed up fashion that tickles your fancy because the configuration process allows you to fire channels in any order you wish. However, during the config. process, its much easier to keep it straight with the strategy I suggested, as it would look something like this...

instead of something like this....

Note: Wolf's channels begin with the number '0' in the software, hence the 0 thru 5 channel designation, adding to the difficulty of a proper configuration if you wire them out of sequence.