HybridZ

GM 6 speed automatic transmission X15R

zgeezer

Here's a link to street and performance who are offering a 6 speed GM AT model X15R. Look here: http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/X15RMES.pdf This is new to me. Does anyone have any information about this transmission. Is this the heavy duty truck Allison transmission?

Is this a candidate for a swap behind a LS* engine?

g

GM's Hydramatic division has both new 5 and 6 speed autos that will start showing up in more and more vehicles in the next couple of years. I think the Escalade is the first home for the 6 speed, with the top of the line Suburban and Tahoe next.

I don't know if this is the same trans or not, but one of the new corvettes is supposed to be available with a paddle shifted six speed auto.

Yep, just looked and spoke to an owner of a 2006 Vette with paddles built into the steering wheel. One side for UP and the other side for DOWN. They are buttons, rather than a stalk, mounted on the steering wheel. He liked it.

The gear ratios are 4.027, 2.364, 1.532, 1.152, .852, & .667. Available as a 6L80E. There are other versions listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6L80_transmission

I'm waiting for the first one to appear in a Z.

g

Not sure how the X15R relates to the 6L80/90E transmissions, but the problem swaping the latter is that the transmission controler module is inside the trans. I haven't seen any of the aftermarket trans controler companies find a way to override or replace it.

On the other hand, Speartech now has harnesses for LS1/6L80E and LS7/6L90E installs with GM ECUs. EFI Live appears to have a speed density tune available if you needed to loose the MAF.

• 4 years later...

I know this is a moribund thread, but I would like to think someone on this forum wouldn't mind resurrection.

Here is a thread from LS1tech.com that compares the 6L80E with our more common 4L60E transmissions. It does not look to be all that much larger, wider, or taller that the 4L60E.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

G