HybridZ

It's Alive! (again...)

I never really introduced myself, rather I lurked regularly, and posted occasionally, but I now have a (mostly) running '73 570z about to roll out of the garage again.

About 5 months ago a 240z project car showed up in the car for sale section, as well as in the local Craig's List, out in Spokane, WA. I ended up buying it, only to have it blow both head gaskets 9 miles from the previous owner's place. Partially due to my not checking it over as thoroughly as I could have, and partially due to less than optimal parts choices in the original build.

After a short jaunt overseas caused a 4 month break in the project only days after purchase, I got the opportunity to tear it down and see what all broke.

The fun turned out to be both head gaskets blown, both inboard exhaust valve seats cracked, one push-rod, rocker, and valve bent. The last appears to have been from before I got the car, so I suspect that it may have been the reason that the PO quit driving it on the 1/8th mile as he had in the past.

A few quick calls to Summit netted me a pair of heads and various little bits to round out the project.

The easy part done, I got the opportunity to work on one of my worst skills: patience. Wait for parts, figure out what I forgot to order the first time, wait for those parts, repeat as necessary. :rolleyesg

Finally, tonight, and at a time that only owls, bats, and crazy mechanics should be awake, it coughed, sputtered, and then took off with a roar, shortly followed by a couple of back fires, before I remembered that it's at reference timing, and that I really shouldn't be revving it until it's set!

Now to get the exhaust replaced, burn off the old tires and get the rubber replaced, and see how I enjoy this new toy!

Pictures should follow in the next day or so, once I have daylight, and a chance to knock some of the dust and cobwebs off of it.

Sorry for the rambling, and lack of pics, but I had to share, and just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the great information available here in the forums!

Not to be a killjoy, but all that has to make you wonder what other things are potential problems in the car.

Heh, you aren't the first wondering this... I've been discovering bits of rust here and there, (such as the fender below the battery being plastic sealer applied from the wheel well, with a faint coat of rust remaining! :P )

It definitely has "character", but nothing that I'm not willing to work on. Honestly, part of the attraction for me is that it's a car that's old enough that I can attempt sheet metal on it without wincing, learn fiberglass on (again, without wincing, much..), and still relatively easy to work on.

The wiring is definitely going to be getting attention soon, as the PO was a bit creative in how closely he followed the JTR instructions on parts of it, notably the fuel pump power source, and the main power protection. (Directly from ignition switched power without oil pressure inturrupt, and none, respectively. Ouch.)

As something to drive around and have fun it, it may take a bit before it lives up to expectations. As something to keep my hands busy, it looks like it's going to be a little more effective than I was originally expecting, but still manageable, especially with the forum as a resource to dig into for information!